Level 1

Hello

Does the latest 64bit VPN Client work with Windows 8, thanks

10 Replies 10

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Neville,

Let me give you following answer - if it does work it is for sure not supported (yet?).

As far as I know there is no version of windows "8" that we are currently testing with VPN client.

Marcin

Ok thanks for the reply, I appreciate it not supported, but tried to get it working last night and failed, so I just wondered whether anyone had managed to get it working

Thanks

Same here ... I'd be interested in any progress getting a VPN client working on Windows 8

Guys,

In case you missed it. VPN client's EOL has been announced - expect no new feature, only critical bug fixes.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5743/ps5699/ps2308/end_of_life_c51-680819.html

There is an internal enhancement request for windows 8 support with anyconnect, but as far as I see that has been filed recently and is still waiting for prioritization.

My suggestion - go to your SE, bother him to request this from product team ;-)

M.

I did find a solution that involved a simple regedit ... now I am using the VPN client successfully. I apologize for not having the full details at hand ... but

Cool, feel free to post the info, I do boubt however whether Cisco will claim this as supported.

Cool stuff nevertheless.

M.

The solution can be found at http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/4001-cisco-anyconnect.html

Essentially, use regedit to go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vpnva and remove the garbage in front of "

Cisco AnyConnect VPN Virtual...." under the DisplayName field.

jeffmhawkins
Level 1
Level 1

This solutions works 100% for windows RELEASED version of Window 8 (not RC) as of 8/17/12

·    Open  Registry editor by typingregedit in Run prompt

·    Browse  to the Registry Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\CVirtA

·    Select  the DisplayName to modify, and remove the leading characters from the value data upto "%;" i.e.

o    For  x86, change the value data from something  like "@oem8.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter” to "Cisco  Systems VPN Adapter”

o    For  x64, change the value data from something  like "@oem8.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit  Windows” to "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter  for 64-bit Windows”

·    Try  connecting again

jb-cisco-login
Level 1
Level 1

Yes it works even then not fully supported: please follow this link for instructions (similiar as suggest above):

http://john.bryntze.net/jbkb-v2/?p=120

I had to change from TCP to UDP to make it work better also but I think that depends on other things.

Davide Fiumi
Level 1
Level 1

You guys having any further troubles with this? I got it to work on Win 8 Ent with this fix, yet after a few connections it won't allow me to reach any devices anymore. If I do a rollback to prior-updates of Windows 8, it will work without problems.

Does this happen to anyone else? Could you give some insights?

And CISCO tech-guy, seriously, EOL for Cisco VPN Client is the most incomprehensible thing I ever heard of. At least until Anyconnect can't be considered a real, vaiable alternative. Also, what will happen with legacy people who use it?

Let me know who could I bother to get them to troubleshoot this issue, as we got a few customers playing around with Win8 and it might arise as an issue for them as well at some point. We need a reliable CISCO VPN solution across all OSes. Either that, or team up with MS and get their own built in client to work 100% with CISCO setup (which would be even better, tbh)...

Thank you for any replies.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: