cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

help with 3825 upgrade to 12.4(24).t6 !!!

manish arora
Level 6
Level 6

Hello everyone,

I am trying to upgrade the IOS on cisco 3825 from 124-9.T1.bin to 124.24.t6.bin, after I upload the configuration to the CF  and verify the file,

everything appears fine but when I try to load the new image it fails with following error and falls back to old image :- 

System Bootstrap, version 12.3(11r)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Readonly ROMMON intialized
boot: cannot open "flash:"

an alternate boot helper program is not specified

(monitor variable "BOOTLDR" is not set)

and unable to determine first file in bootflash

loadprog: error - on file open

boot: cannot load "c3825-advsecurityk9-mz.124-24.T6.bin"

Then after few minutes it boot to the Old 12(4).9 ios again.

Please help !

Thanks

Manish

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Manish,

To my best knowledge, the MD5 sum is not stored in the IOS image file itself. The verify /md5 will simply produce an MD5 hash but it cannot tell you if it is correct or not - you have to go to the CCO and verify it for yourself. The verify /md5 has no reference information to compare the computed value to.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

Ok, try upgrading the Bootstrap and then try the new IOS.

Grrrrr ... I can't even read the Release Notes for this version of IOS:  Forbidden File or Application

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Manish,

This is strange... What puzzles me is that the router is finally able to boot the old IOS. I have seen CF cards being corrupt but in that case, the router was not able to boot at all.

My suggestion is to format your CF card directly in the router using the format flash: command, and subsequently, using the usual copy command to store the new IOS into it. Try avoiding a PC with CF card reader to store the IOS. Although it should work, there may be some caveats so let's avoid them for now.

By the way, have you used any boot system command?

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for replying, yes I did use couple commands for boot system :-

1> no boot system

2> boot system flash c-3825-xxxxx-124.24.t6.bin

3> wr

but its getting stuck at that BOOTLDR error and then goes to OLD ios or goes in ROMMON mode  from where I have to force it boot into old IOS as it would work with new IOS.

Do you think I have to upgrade boot image, cuz i remeber upgrading 7204 ones with a Cisco TAC and he used some Bootldr command. Wish I would have paid attention to it then .

Manish

Do you think I have to upgrade boot image, cuz i remeber upgrading 7204 ones with a Cisco TAC and he used some Bootldr command.

I can't answer for the rest but I always upgrade the bootstrap whenever I have the chance.

I learnt my lesson the hard way when I was upgrading the memory of a 3745 without upgrading the bootstrap first.  I wasted 2 days cursing until someone pointed out a piece of paper that came with the memory.  Duhhhhhhh ...

Manish,

Hmmm... And when you are in the ROMMON, what would be the effect of using the following command?

boot flash:c3825-xxx-124-24.T6.bin

Please correct the syntax if necessary, these boot commands sometimes require the use of the "flash:" filesystem designator, sometimes they do not.

Also please observe the suggestions provided by Leo. If you manage to boot at least the old IOS, verify the MD5 sum of the new IOS using the verify /md5 flash:c3825-xxx-124-24.T6.bin command and compare it to the MD5 sum available at the CCO.

Best regards,

Peter

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you compared the MD5 hash values?  I see this when the file download is not "complete".

System Bootstrap, version 12.3(11r)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

One more thing:  Since you are going to reboot the router anyway, upgrade your bootstrap.  IT's kinda-bit old.

Upgrade to 12.3(13r)T15.

Leo,

Good points. Thanks for that.

Best regards,

Peter

Thank you very much for the ratings Peter. 

Hi Leo,

Can you please point me to right Guide for upgrading the Bootstrap ?  I am not sure about which is the correct documentation to follow.

Thanks

Manish 

Hi Manish,

No guide needed.  The command is very simple:   upgrade rom file tftp:///filename.bin

ROMmon file found HERE.

By the way, bootstrap version 12.4(13r)T and higher will allow you to boot from USB.  Nifty, huh?

BTW the MD5 checksum is correct, it checked it with verify command. it doesnt complain about that.

manish

Manish,

To my best knowledge, the MD5 sum is not stored in the IOS image file itself. The verify /md5 will simply produce an MD5 hash but it cannot tell you if it is correct or not - you have to go to the CCO and verify it for yourself. The verify /md5 has no reference information to compare the computed value to.

Best regards,

Peter

Peter,

I followed the following link for that :-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_tech_note09186a00801fc986.shtml#step6

I have the same Embedded & Computed Hash. I don't think it has to match CC0 hash as the old image ( running ) matches

Embedded & Computed only.

Manish

Ok, try upgrading the Bootstrap and then try the new IOS.

Grrrrr ... I can't even read the Release Notes for this version of IOS:  Forbidden File or Application

Upgraded the Bootstrap but a it still doesn't support new IOS but also shows following in the Sh Version :-

"System returned to ROM by watchdog timer expired" which points to Hardware issue I think.

any suggestions, don't have smartnet on this one.

Manish

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: