Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 8.6.x and caller name on incoming external calls

raziel78kain
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

we have a CUCM 8.6.x, and we would like that caller name appears on the IP Phones on incoming external calls (e.g., from PSTN or another PBX).

Is there a way to obtain that only with CUCM?

If not, is there an external solution (possibily free) to get that?

TIA and regards.

9 Replies 9

cnuche
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

If the call is comming from the PSTN (and the PSTN is sending you the calling name) then your GW must be configured to accept this by enabling the 'Display IE' (H.323 and MGCP) or 'Facility IE' (MGCP only), if you have an H.323 GW and the TELCO is sending this on Facility IE then you will need to switch to MGCP.Now for the PBX it would be the same.

BUT, if you are trying to get the calling name based on the caller ID only then there is no way to do this natively on CUCM, you may create an ip phone app/custom directory that will do this for you, as this app will have to perform a query on the directory and check it.

Christian Nuche

PDI HD Team.

Hello,

we are in the second scenario (to get the calling name based on the caller ID only).

Do you know any free application to get that?

If not, can you give me more information to be able to create this kind of application?

Regards.

Hi

There is a way to do this via a TCL script which I found on CCO a number of years ago.

The TCL script was originally called "modify_caller_name.tcl" and was published by Niels Brunsgaard of Cisco.

You load this script onto your PSTN gateway and create a number of mappings of numbers to names. It only works on H.323 gateways (it will not work on MGCP). I have also noticed that it seems to create an issue if the number being called is over a SIP trunk from CUCM (e.g. the caller whos number has been converted to a name is dialling a number that is reached over a SIP trunk from CUCM).

If you need a copy of the script, PM or email me.

HTH. Barry

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Raziel,

Just to add another reference here to the great tips from Christian and Barry (+5 guys!)

You could check out this offering from NetPro Paolo

number2name

http://www.ciscoscripts.com

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks Rob

Dear Rob,

thanks for the link, but we would like to find a free application, if possible.

Some time ago, I found this one:

http://www.myvoipsource.org/open-source-tools/calltracer/,

but I have difficulties to make it work.

Anyone has used it?

Regards.

more than two years have been passed, anyone makes it work?

Yes, I got an exactly the same requirement and hit this post by searching google.

for a particular PSTN caller number, we want to present calling name on our internal IP phones. We are using CUCM

version: 8.5.1.11900-21. Maybe this new version support it natively?

anyone can help on this?

thanks.

The answer remains the same, no matter what version you have.

Only Jabber has the ability to do lookups from the directory, phones?? Use Paolo's script.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Oh.. if there is no free solution for this, then will report back and ask user to cancel the request.

thanks anyway!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: