Views
Helpful
Replies

How to download/backup config of Cisco 2950 switch

chrisjmolloy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was asked today to download/backup config of a Cisco 2950 switch.  I have never done this before, how do I do this if it is possible??

4 Replies 4

kapathak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Chris,

You might want to check http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015bfab.shtml#cat2900

You can transfer your config to a tftp server via copy flash:config.text tftp

Or you can log the putty session to your switch and do a show start or show run (depending on the config you want to backup)

Cheers!

Kapil

P.S Please rate useful posts and mark the thread as resolved if your query has been answered.

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Chris Molloy wrote:

Hi,

I was asked today to download/backup config of a Cisco 2950 switch.  I have never done this before, how do I do this if it is possible??

There are a number of different ways you can do this.

Possibly the simplest is to use a terminal program with decent logging (I use TeraTerm, the plain Micrisoft telnet client won't log) and just log the output of the "show running-config" command

telnet/SSH into the switch, authenticate yourself correctly, and when at the switch# prompt, do this

switch# term length 0

switch# show running-config all

Close off the log file once you're back to the switch# prompt, and there's your config saved to a text file, backed up.

Youc an also copy the configuration to a TFTP/FTP server if you have one by entering the following command

copy running-config tftp: all

or

copy running-config ftp: all

Note that for the second to work, you either need to have an FTP server which accepts anonymous connections, or else set an FTP username and password in the configuration using the "ip ftp username ' and "ip ftp password " commands.

Cheers.

Hi,

You can try this

switch#Show run | redirect flash:show run.txt  -->will create a file in flash and the output will not be displayed in the screen.

At a later point of time, you can copy this to the tftp server from flash

Cheers

Somu

Rate helpful posts

Can you just copy the config to a jump-drive? 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: