cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TCP rst packet

samarjitdas
Level 1
Level 1

What is  the most common reason of TCP rst packet sent by either server or client ? I came to know from some online forums that it is due to session timeout? If it is due to session timeout, I believe TCP work on technology like packet retransmission,So in this case why not retransmission instead of reset?

3 Replies 3

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The TCP RST flag is meant to indicate that the connection should be immediately terminated if not terminated already, mostly because of a fatal error. Most commonly, the RST flag is seen in these situations:

• A clients connects to a TCP server port on which no process is listening (i.e. a closed port)
  • Either client or server receives a TCP segment that carries an unacceptable value in the ACKSeq field while in non-synchronized state (LISTEN, SYN-SENT, SYN-RECEIVED) - this is most often an indication of a delayed/duplicated/outdated segment
  • Either client or server has closed the connection but either this host has not yet processed all data received in the TCP queue for the process, or the peering host is sending data after this host has already asked to close the connection. This is to inform the other party that some data may have been lost.

Regarding session timeouts, a RST flag is actually sent if the connection has already been closed after a period of inactivity from one side, and the other side suddently comes back and wishes to continue the session as if nothing has happened. There is nothing wrong with this usage.

Please feel welcome to ask further.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter

If a client sends last data segment with a fin flag to server but server didn't receive data segment within stipulated time frame and resend previous segment to client assuming that previous segment somewhere dropped in the path, is it possible for client to send a RST packet in this situation?

Hello,

I believe that such an occurence is possible. Per RFC 1122, Section 4.2.2.13:

A host MAY implement a "half-duplex" TCP close sequence, so
that an application that has called CLOSE cannot continue to
read data from the connection.  If such a host issues a
CLOSE call while received data is still pending in TCP, or
if new data is received after CLOSE is called, its TCP
SHOULD send a RST to show that data was lost.

There is one issue, though, that I am not sure of. Assume that the lost FIN segment from the client to server was sent with Seq=X, Ack=Y. The presence of the FIN flag means that the client process called the CLOSE on this TCP socket. According to the aforementioned RFC, any arrival of data from the other side should elicit a RST response from the client.

However, if the size of the data in the FIN segment was N bytes, the next acceptable segment from the server to the client should have the Ack set to X+N. However, the resent segment from the server will certainly not have its Ack=X+N but most probably, only X. I am not sure if the TCP on the client will react to such situation with RST or with repeated FIN segment. I guess this would be implementation-specific.

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco

Ā