cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VM to Email on UC540 when not attached to WAN

John Gawf
Level 1
Level 1

I'm installing a UC540 on a network where it will not be attached to the Internet via the WAN.  Routing to the Inetnet will be through the LAN/Data interfaces.  When I do this, the VM to email doesn't work.  I go into the CUE command line and cannot ping any public IP's or DNS names from the command line.  If I attach the WAN to a public Internet (temporary) I can ping the public IPs and DNS names from the CUE command line.  Note, I can ping the public IPs and DNS names from main UC540 CME command line.  I called the SBSC and they didn't know how this could be fixed, but suspected it could via command line, however that is off limits without the special CLI support contract.

Has anyone solved this VM to email problem on the UC540?

16 Replies 16

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi John,

This seems odd as it should work, right now I have in our office a UC-560 that is only connected through the LAN side to the Internet and have managed to get it to work with little problems, actually the majority of my installs are LAN side and If I do hit a problem with getting this to work I connect the WAN to the LAN side and do some unorthodox stuff to get it to work.

You should be able to do this...

Can you provide me with an idea of the network topology I would like to look at that a little further to come up with a plan of attack and help you to get it to work

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David,

I didn't mention I also have a UC560 on a large network and it's not attached to a WAN and I have the same problem.

For the topology, there is a firewall at the top of the network numbered at 192.168.5.1 and the UC540 data network is at 192.168.5.3 and there is a static default route pointed to 192.168.5.1.  The firewall has an external connection to the public Internet and is doing the NAT outbound.

There might be some suspect in the Firewall, but I'm monitoring packets on the network and there is no SMTP from the UC540, plus the fact that when I connect to CUE I cannot ping anything until I attach the WAN to a network and let it do the routing to the Internet.

Hi John,

Great info this give us something to work with

First of all, does .5.1 have a route to the 10.1.10.X subnet? Since it is a 540W It may not have VLAN-90 and it just uses look back!!

I dont know what the edge device is, if it is a Cisco edge device then adding in a path shouldnt be too hard.

With your monitoring I doubt you will see this traffic  if you are monitoring it on the edge device, this would be because it  is probably not aware of the subnet.

I must admit I am  not the best Data Engineer out there as my core focus has been on voice  over the last few years, but I am certain that this is the problem.

What is the edge device?

Alternatively have you looked into IMAP? You will still need a route to it, but IMAP also provides a little extra functionality as well.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David,

I figured out the problem.  When the packet comes out of CUE it is sourced with IP 10.1.10.1 (the internal 10.1.10.0/30 network between CUE and CME) and is put on the LAN by CME with that address.  On my network, it goes to the firewall which is the default GW, but my firewall knows the 10.1.10.0/30 network at my company UC540 on another interface.   It logs the packet as being spoofed since it knows that network is somewhere else and drops it.

Thanks again.

Hi John,

Mate I am glad it is all going now

Always good to see a happy ending to a problem....

Cheers,

David.

Hi there, i am in a similar situation. So how did you fix it? What did you do to your router?

UC540 system with 8.6 Software Pack

UC540 system with 8.6.2 Software Pack

hi, can anyone provide me with some assiatnce please?

Here are some details of my network:

UC540 Box - 192.168.1.10 10.1.1.1

CUCE - 10.1.10.1

Netgear Router for SBS Network - 192.168.1.1

SBS Server (with Echange) - 192.168.1.2

I have no static routs in the UC540 box apart from its default one.

I have 2 static routes in the Netgear router:

1. Destination 10.1.10.0 via 192.168.1.10

2. Destination 10.1.1.0 via 192.168.1.10

Is there anything else you need to know to help me?

When I log into CUCE and try to send a test email it says:

Test Result: Could not connect to SMTP host: 192.168.1.2, port: 25

Any ideas?

PS - if i connect a laptop to any port on my Cisco system it gets it IP address from the SBS server and can surf the internet fine. it can ping the server fine too... its just CUCE that cant seem to see the exchange server... i think

Hi Jeremy,

Please check if you have connectivity from CUE to SBS server. You may easily check this in CLI if you issue the following command:

# ping 192.168.1.2 source loopback0

If you have connectivity then you may look at the CUE settings again and in the server settings and if it is allowing connections from the subnet of the CUE 10.1.10.0 255.255.255.252 for the mail.

If you do not have connectivity then look at the access-lists for the respective BVI1 and vlan 90 or loopback0.

HTH,

Alex

*Please rate helpful posts

Hi Alex, the ping works just fine.

When you say server settings, are you refereing to the Hub Transport Connectors of Exchange?

This was working before i did the update to 8.6 and i had done nothing besides having the two static routes in my firewall/router.

Hello Jeremy,

If you go to CLI of the CUE and enter the following commands what is the output:

no trace all

clear trace

trace voicemail msgnotif all

trace configapi smtp debug

trace entitymanager NotifDevice all

trace smtp all

sho trace buffer tail

To stop the debug:

no trace all

clear trace

If you do not feel confortable with CLI please open a case with SBSC for faster resolution.

Best regards,

Alex

Hi Jeremy,

was this issue ever solved? if so how?

Hi Mike, there was a couple of things that were causeing grief here.

Firstly, whenever you make a change to the way CUE sends an email or any confirgutation settings, you must rebooth CUE for it to 'stick'/take effect. The check the settings after it has rebooted.

We also needed to add a static route of 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 on the UC box (via CCA) to make sure the UC was resolving correctly.

Let me know if you need anymore help....

You may have to configure a 'receive connector' on your Exchange server, although in theory you shouldnt have to do this...

UC540 system with 8.6.1 Software Pack

Hi Jeremy,

well i have sip service plugged into wan. switch connected to expansion port. I have a windows server 2008 doing data dhcp 192.168.0.6, rv042g gateway 192.168.0.253 has fibre, uc540 192.168.0.10, 10.1.1.1 for phone vlan, 10.1.10.1. From the uc540 i can ping 192.168.0.253 from every ip. When i go to ping outside from any ip on the uc540 nothing. The phones are doing data passtru from the server. how do i make the uc540 have internet access without using the wan?

any help would be great

Hi Mike,

first thing, make sure your NAT is disabled in the UC box.

second, make sure you have a static route in the UC box of 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 via Gateway IP of 192.168.0.253 (your network router).

Let me know how you go with this...

UC540 system with 8.6.1 Software Pack

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: