cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing Informix ODBC drivers on 64-bit OS

p.drauden
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to install the Informix ODBC drivers on Windows 7 64-bit so I can run the Wallet Card Wizard. I am getting the following error:

"Prerequisite verification checks failed

InstallAnywhere has detected that you are installing the 32 bit product on a 64 bit machine

Prefix path with C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and restart the installer."

There is a BAT file included with the installer that prefixes C:\Windows\SysWOW64 to the path and runs the installer for you, and I've also tried manually doing it via command prompt. Either way, I still get the error.

Has anyone else run into this or found a workaround? Attached is a screenshot of the error.

11 Replies 11

Graham Old
Level 7
Level 7

There are now two versions of the IBM informix driver.

Version 3.70.TC3, Windows (32 bit)

Version 3.70.FC3, Windows x64

These are a free download from IBM, registration required. (Informix Client Software Development Kit)

http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/download/search.jsp?rs=ifxdl

Graham

All connection tools are compiled exclusively for 32 bit - therefore you want to stick to the 32 bit version of the driver even if you're running on a 64 bit OS...

ross.parker
Level 1
Level 1

I know this is an old question, but I did not see an answer.

1. Run the command prompt as an administrator.
  2. From the command prompt, go to the ODBC driver install directory and enter the following commands.

set PATH=%windir%\sysWOW64;%PATH%

installclientsdk.exe

Worked for me.

Thank you Ross.  Your reminder to run the command prompt as administrator solved my similar problem.

Thanks! Worked for me too.

One thing to add: if you're installation directory is on a network share, this won't work. I guess it has to do with the relative path of the installer EXE to the target destination. Not exactly sure I'm wording this right. You'll need to copy the installation dir to your local machine, append the PATH var and it should work.

csmith5660
Level 1
Level 1

I just spent a considerable amount of time following all of the above and could not get past the WOW64 error.  I found this and it did resolve my problem - just in case anyone else runs into this.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21616019

Not sure why following those instructions would work for you but the above would not - they're identical other than they have you making the change to the path in settings instead of in a command window - the process is identical. 

The fact that IBM puts up a page with such details and has refused to address the problem with a proper install option in 4 years now is maddening... but that aside, I actually put a TOI video together of me doing this entire process on x64 install of Windows 8 - you can get to it off the SDK download page here:

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/CxN/InformixODBC/InformixODBC.html

I'd be deeply puzzled as to why you couldn't make that work but you could follow the IBM page - that doesn't make much sense.  We've done this process on Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Server 2008R2 and Server 2012R2 installs for x64 bit installs and all work...

I was running into the same problem. I logged into my Windows 7 PC with an administrative account, I set the PATH variable through the command prompt, and I would start the installation from the command prompt. I would get the same exact error. What I had to do was to run the command prompt as an administrator. I assumed that if I was logged in with an account that had administrative privileges within the command prompt but I did not.

According to Microsoft’s web site only the actual administrator account has administrative privileges by default in the command prompt. All other accounts have standard user permissions and have to use the “Run as Administrator” option. Here is Microsoft’s site that details this - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc947813%28v=ws.10%29.aspx. I hope this helps.

Just wanted to +1 this comment. I was running into the same issue after entering the path as recommended per all of the other instructions. Running the command prompt as administrator solved the issue for me as well.

I know this is an old post but i've just been struggling with this, for some reason my environment variable was called 'Path' once I changed this to 'PATH' with 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64 added it then allowed me to progress with the installation.

Regards,

Richard

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: