Configuring Trunking and VLANs on a 2100 series Wireless Controller

Unanswered Question
Oct 5th, 2011

We have 4 1142N LAPs that I want to divide between an internal wireless and a guest wireless network using the controller.  Currently all of the APs are on an established internal network, but I want to migrate one over to a test guest network before buying more LAPs to augment the networks further.

As a side bar the existing network was configured by a previous admin, so I can't answer questions about WHY things are the way they are, only HOW they are now.

Currently the port connecting to the WCS from the 3560 switch is configured as an access port using VLAN 10.  Whenever I make it a trunk port carrying VLAN 10 as well as the other ports we will be using for the guest and ap-manager networks, I lose connection with the controller.  To me this implies that the port on the controller is configured as an access port as well.  In the documentation I found for the controller it states that by default the ports are al configured to be trunks, but it appears as though something was changed by the previous tech.  All of the APs are connected to other switches, not to the controller itself.

My questions are:

1) How can I get the port on the controller back to being a trunk port

2) Can I use the internal DHCP server for the guest network if the subnet is different than the management subnet, or will I have to use another external server and relay/proxy it through the controller to give guest clients IP addresses?

Thank you for your time and please feel free to ask any clarification questions if needed.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Average Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
George Stefanick Fri, 10/07/2011 - 06:35

Adam,

If you WLC is connected to a swicth as access layer and its working fine and then you change the swicth to trunk and it breaks. This sure sounds like the managment interface is not tagging.

Do this:

Click on controller (tab) -->click on mangment interface. Look at your VLAN id. I suspect it has a 10 in there for vlan 10. IF YOUR TRUNK --- You need to make that a "0" in the field.

DHCP you can mix the two if you want. Internal clients point to internal DHCP while guest point to WLC. Create a DHCP scope on the WLC. Then point the guest WLAN DHCP scope (on the wlc) to the managment interface of the WLC.

I hope this helps. If you find this of vlaue please rate the post!

Thanks

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted October 5, 2011 at 1:53 PM
Stats:
Replies:2 Avg. Rating:
Views:883 Votes:0
Shares:0

Related Content

Discussions Leaderboard