cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't Delete User from Unity Connection

Joe Della Valle
Level 1
Level 1

We have a user who left the company which we need deleted in Unity. This user was set up as a receptionist.

When I attempt to delete her I get error " One or more users could not be deleted because they are referenced by other objects in the database. To clean up the references please save or review the User References Log File."

When I look at the account I don't see any area for dependencies? Could this user be associated to a VP's voicemail or something? If so, how do I break any links attached to the user account?

Thanks...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Joe,

That is certainly the easiest way to go I've had to do this many times

when a user leaves without letting us know and has shared their PIN with

their replacement. You can change the Displayname, firstname,lastname,

alias and SMTP address and you are good to go.

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Saurabh Agnihotri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Joe,

This error means that there is some other object such as a user or a call handler that is referencing to the the user that you are trying to delete.

You may be hitting this bug

CSCsv34638: UC needs to say what references are preventing you from deleting a user

Please check it against the version that you are running.

Broadly speaking, these are steps that need to be performed in order to delete this user:

1)Find the objects referencing this user (either by running the commands mentioned in the bug or through visual inspection of the objects)

2)Either remove the references that point to that user or point them to another user.

3)Delete the user once all the references have been deleted.

Note: If you upgrade to one of the versions in which this issue is resolved, you will be able to get a list of objects that reference this user.

Please rate helpful posts.

Regards,

Saurabh Agnihotri.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Joe,

Just to add a note to the great tips from Saurabh (+5 "S")

You should get a log file when the failed delete shows at the top of the page. In

my example I tried to delete bmoose;

The user Bruce Moose (bmoose) has the following dependencies that are preventing deletion:

Call Handler -> Split MB Test -> Edit -> Caller Input -> 3 -> Action

This tells me where to look to fix the dependency b4 deleting Bruce

You might want to look at this great tool that really helps with deleting and resetting users in

Unity Connection. I've started to use it quite often especially for something like this

where the mailbox you are trying delete may have many references/dependencies, its

sometimes better to just reset;

Unity Connection Bulk User Delete

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/CxN/BulkUserDelete/Help/ConnectionBulkUserDelete.htm

Cheers!

Rob

Hey Rob,

Thanks for adding this point. Bulk User Delete does help in such cases (+5 to you as well ).

As far as the log file is concerned, it does not appear in many older versions of Unity Connection.(specifically, for the earlier versions of CUC 7x release)

What version of Unity Connection are you checking it on? (I guess, it would be 8x) 

Regards,

Saurabh Agnihotri

Guys,

I have the log file. What I see listed is "Edit=>Caller Input->0" then there are several other users of the system listed. I went to Caller Input under the user I want to delete, but I don't see any entries for the other users listed?

Under the "Key" colum, I see some symbols then number 1-9. If I click on the link for symbol or number it opens a Caller Edit Imput window, with most choices greyed out?

Hi Joe,

Just look at the caller input for the users listed in the logfile. This is where you

can remove the entries/dependencies

Cheers!

Rob

There are several, maybe 30, so I need to look at each one then?

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Joe,

Yes, in this situation you would need to change the Caller Input 0 on all

30 users before you could delete the user mailbox in question. This is where

the tool I linked earlier would really come in handy. You could just reset the mailbox

without having to adjust 30 other mailboxes.

Cheers!

Rob

As a follow-on to Robs note about resetting sometimes being the better option, Bulk User Delete also uses a different technique for deleting users if that's what you want to do - it requires you provide a replacement user that gets inserted into these references which gets around the FK constraint checks the DB is so persnickity about - so in other words you'd provide "user x" as your replacement when deleting a user or users and all those one key links that pointed to users you were deleting would now point to them.

Either way works - but if you don't want to reset a mailbox instead you can try it for straight-up delete as well - there is also a report that will show you the dependencies in question so you can clean them up manually if you'd rather.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jeff,

Excellent tips my friend! Thanks for this and for your ongoing support

of the great Unity Tools +5

Cheers!

Rob

OK, so why would you create dependencies on a user's mailbox to another user? Just trting to understand the logistics here?

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ho Joe,

You would just be moving the dependencies on a temporary basis. So let's say you

moved them to you , then deleted and recreated the reception mailbox and then moved them

back. It just saves you from having to re-do the whole set up

Cheers!

Rob

Yes, I realize what's happening in this case to delete the user I need deleted, however, why would this user have been set up from the beginning in Unity to have a dependency to another user's mailbox?

Would this only be in speacial cases where job function comes into play?

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Joe,

The "zero out" or Dial 0 caller input option is generally very prevelant on all voicemail systems.

This is, as you nicely noted, usually related to job function where an admin person will

be the option for callers who reach the voicemail of a user can opt out for a live person via the

Dial 0. We have some departments where one person is the Dial 0 for 50 people. That's

why these admin mailboxes are always the hardest to delete due to the dependencies related

to this function

Cheers!

Rob

Rob,

To keep functionality of this account, should I just rename it to the new user who took over this position? It seems that may be the most seemless way to go.

Is there any protocol to follow when renaming a Unity user account?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: