Views
Helpful
Replies

Stacking 3750-X with universal image with 3750-G running .bin image

matt.eason
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I'm looking at adding a Cisco 3750-X switch running c3750e-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE1 (IP base license) into a stack of 3750-G switches running c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-55.SE1.bin

Given that the version and feature sets are the same I don't forsee any compatibility issues. Would there be any reason why a universal image wouldn't stack correctly with other switches running the single .bin file?

Thanks,

9 Replies 9

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Matt,

You have IOS differ in both switches.
When you are planning to STACK make sure the IOS is same in all switches otherwise they wont join in STACK.

Please rate the helpful posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Thanks for the reply Naidu.

Although the file names do differ the functionally should be the same if I'm not mistaken. Both versions run at the same level of code (122.55-SE1) and both are IP base. Does it really matter if one is universal vs the standard ip base package?

Yes it does.  This is to prevent someone from activating the software license "bumping".

I see. Looking at the download page on Cisco.com for the 3750-G I can see that only the standard bin & tar images are available for download. Does this mean if your mixing your stacks with 3750-X and G switches the only option is to install a .bin image on the 3750-X.

Thank you both for your input.

If your plain 3750 has 16 mb of flash, then the highest IOS you can use is 12.2(55)SE and higher.  You cannot use 12.2(58)SE (and higher) and 15.0(1)SE.

You can use either the BIN or TAR file.

steve.bowers
Level 1
Level 1

I have just successfully added a 3750X with a universal image at 12.2(55)SE3 into a stack of 3750s running ipbase 12.2(55)SE3.

The universal image is licencsed to ipbase

All seems OK so far and it joined the stack as expected

Steve

ironically i just answered to the same type of question on another thread.

you can mix 3750g and 3750x on the same switch as long as they have the same IOS release and feature set (ipbase in your case). The fact that the 3750x comes with an universal image is not relevant as what it counts is the license/feature set you have.

Riccardo

Just a quick question guys. I know that you need to have the same IOS and feature set to stack 3750g/x together. From what I understand, this is only the same major IOS version and not the minor, is this correct? Obviously I know the feature set needs to be the same.

Hi John,

this is the info you need:

Minor Version Number Incompatibility Among Switches

Switches with the same major version number but with a different minor version number are considered partially compatible. When connected to a switch stack, a partially compatible switch enters version-mismatch (VM) mode and cannot join the stack as a fully functioning member. The software detects the mismatched software and tries to upgrade (or downgrade) the switch in VM mode with the switch stack image or with a tar file image from the switch stack flash memory. The software uses the automatic upgrade (auto-upgrade) and the automatic advise (auto-advise) features. For more information, see the"Understanding Auto-Upgrade and Auto-Advise" section.

To see if there are switches in VM mode, use the show switch user EXEC command. The port LEDs on switches in VM mode stay off. Pressing the Mode button does not change the LED mode.

You can use the boot auto-download-sw global configuration command to specify a URL pathname for the master switch to use to get an image in case of version mismatch.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12.2_58_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1171754

Riccardo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco