cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

%CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Not sending discovery request AP does not have an Ip !!

ijos2011c
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to connect my AP tp WLC 5500. I checked AP has NO IP. I have NO DHCP server in my network.

1. Do I need IP to be assigned to AP before join the WLC? If Yes I can cosole to AP and set IP but I don't like this method as I have bunch of APs to do. How can  I use WLC to act as DHCP server for my new APs yet to Join(which doesn not have static IP).

2. If  I can use WLC to server as DHCP for new APs....do I need to configure DHCP as below..( please correct me if I wrong)

CONTROLLER->Internal DHCP Server-> make pool which is same as my management IP subnet(10.0.0.20 to 10.0.0.50)

Hoping some one can direct me in right direction.

/OB

1 Reply 1

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

OB,

yes the AP needs to have an IP address before it can join the WLC, further directly connecting an AP to a 5508 is not supported.

I wouldn't trust the WLC to be the DHCP server for any device that is on the LAN.  The internal DHCP server on the WLC, is designed to be used by the clients of that WLC.

If yo don't have a server that you can use for DHCP, you can use a router or switch to do this as well.

If that is not an option, then yes, you have to configure every AP with an IP address from the CLI.

HTH,

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the question as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card