Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS in VPLS

anilrs3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am looking for a good  guide/doc "Understanding and Configuring COS for VPLS". I know it is a L2 QOS feature and i think need to make use of 802.1p tag. Can someone please help me to understand these feauture please ?

Thanks,

Anil.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vaibhava Varma
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Anil

When we look at achieving an end-to-end QoS for the traffic it has to be taken care of at both the CE and PE Side.

At the CE-Side we need to make use of the right CoS Marking to the required traffic class and relevant QoS treatment on the CE-PE Handoff Link

MPLS VPN is Transport Service provided to the CE and keeping in view that the required QoS Policing/Shaping has been taken care at the CE-PE handoff on the CE-Side from Provide perspective the QoS is more simpler than at CE when we talk of MPSL Transport say VPLS.

Lets say our requirement is to have CoS 5 ( voice to be served on high priority ) inside provider domain and also towards PE-CE handoff link.

Service Providers depoly QoS in two basic modes ie

1. Unform Mode-- PE-CE Egress QoS Policing/Shaping is independent of Customer QoS Policies and depends on the packet treatment inside MPLS Core.

2. Pipe Mode--PE-CE Egress QoS Policing/.Shaping is dependent on Customer QoS polices as the Customer QoS Marking is preserved at the Egress PE-CE Handoff.

So I would say we need to let the ISP know of our requirements for the required QoS treatment inside their Core and at the Egress PE-CE Handoff so accordingly they can provide a Gold ,Silver_Bronze class of Service to the customer.

Hope this helps to provide some understanding regarding QoS for VPLS. Hope others also contribute and provide a different and deep insight into this.

Regards

Varma

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Vaibhava Varma
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Anil

When we look at achieving an end-to-end QoS for the traffic it has to be taken care of at both the CE and PE Side.

At the CE-Side we need to make use of the right CoS Marking to the required traffic class and relevant QoS treatment on the CE-PE Handoff Link

MPLS VPN is Transport Service provided to the CE and keeping in view that the required QoS Policing/Shaping has been taken care at the CE-PE handoff on the CE-Side from Provide perspective the QoS is more simpler than at CE when we talk of MPSL Transport say VPLS.

Lets say our requirement is to have CoS 5 ( voice to be served on high priority ) inside provider domain and also towards PE-CE handoff link.

Service Providers depoly QoS in two basic modes ie

1. Unform Mode-- PE-CE Egress QoS Policing/Shaping is independent of Customer QoS Policies and depends on the packet treatment inside MPLS Core.

2. Pipe Mode--PE-CE Egress QoS Policing/.Shaping is dependent on Customer QoS polices as the Customer QoS Marking is preserved at the Egress PE-CE Handoff.

So I would say we need to let the ISP know of our requirements for the required QoS treatment inside their Core and at the Egress PE-CE Handoff so accordingly they can provide a Gold ,Silver_Bronze class of Service to the customer.

Hope this helps to provide some understanding regarding QoS for VPLS. Hope others also contribute and provide a different and deep insight into this.

Regards

Varma

Hi Varma,

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure how we can deply the QOS in Layer 2 in the case of VPLS. The ingress PE router will know only the customer traffic as L2 frames.

In a VPLS service :

1. How the CE router can set the COS marking of the L2 frames and can queue/prioratize (CE-PE link) the frames which is sent to the PE.

2.How the ingress PE router will clasiffy and remark the frames coming from the CE based on Layer 2  and set MPLS EXP bit for queiing in within the core ?

Thanks,

Anil.

Hi ANil,

1. You classify and mark your traffic according to your needs on your CE, then you can make policy-map; which can treat / queue traffic according to your needs on the out going interface (which is CE-PE) link.

2. When traffic arrives at PE input interface with the marking (done by CE), it can then remark it to IP Precedence / DSCP, whatever it is using at PE and then classify packet based on that, it can set MPLS EXP bits.

in simple layman terms, match the COS values set at CE end coming at PE and set them to MPLS EXP bits at PE end.

HTH,

Smitesh

So on the CE i need to mark based on the L2 COS values and i think i need to set 802.1p priority then on the PE, need to match based on the 802.1P priority and set EXP bit ?

Thanks,

Anil.

Hi Anil,

You got it perfect.

Regards,

Smitesh

Thanks

-Anil

Hi Anil,

If your concern has got address, can you please close this tread; so that other community user don't waste their time coming to see that this tread is unanswered and then finding it to be already answered.

Thanks,

Smitesh

Hi Smitesh,

Sorry , i was looking for the option to close this tread but could't find. Can you please tell where i can find that

Thanks,

Anil.

Hi Anil,

One is that you can rate, by clicking on the stars below the suggestions.

Another thing, is that you can mark the suggestion as correct answer and thread would be closed.

HTH,

Smitesh

Done ..