cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to set SG200-08P to factory default settings

kenbucknam
Level 1
Level 1

We need to "reset" a SG200-08P switch back to the factory default settings and noted the "Quick Start Guide" implies the "Reset" button next to the power button doesn't exist and refers the user to the "Cisco Small Business Smart Switch Administration Guide" for instructions.  We couldn't find any information related to a "factory reset" in that document either.  Pressed the "paper clip button" on the switch but we still can't get in.  Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Ken,

Did you hold the reset button for 30 seconds or just press it and release?

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Ken,

Did you hold the reset button for 30 seconds or just press it and release?

Thanks for the response!  We held it for about ten seconds....is 30 seconds the trick?

mpyhala:

That did the trick!  We got in!  Thanks for the information

Ken

Ken,

Thanks for the update!

I did not understand the politics of the reset to factory settings on the switch.

Pressing the reset SG 200-08P for more than 30 seconds the switch NOT back to its original condition. The System LED on the front panel blink and NOT the ip back to factory settings (192.168.1.254)

How do I figure out what is the ip of the switch?

Thanks in advance

If the front panel started to blink after you held the button for 30 seconds or more, that's a good sign and means its defaulted. But if that started on its own it could indicate a problem with the firmware. The LED should blink if the switch has not seen a DHCP server and is using its default IP address.

Make sure your network card is in the same subnet as the switch in its default condition. i.e. set a static ip address on a laptop for 192.168.1.10,  mask 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.254. Connect direct to the switch then try browsing to or pinging the switch at 192.168.1.254. If this does not work, report back and we can try a firmware recovery.

Another option is uplink the switch to a network with a DHCP server, wait for the LED to turn solid green then go on the DHCP server and find the address and login.

Hi,

I tried again to access the switch by following your advice.

With static ip can not access the default IP 192.168.1.254 (does not even get the ping)

Only connecting the switch to a DHCP server is configured to assign IP in the range of 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.4 and a laptop is assigned and monitored the ip to the laptop. With ping or browser via http addresses none of these answers.

Ship and then the switch back as you suggested.

Thanks for the support.

Hello,

I had issue with my SG200-18, he lost connectivity with all the network after few days - several time.
Now I redo a factory reset with pressing more than 30 sec. It takes time before able to ping and access default http://192.168.1.254 - almost 5-8 minutes.

this time, I upgrade firmware to newer version. Hope that can sole my issue now. Ports if needed are put to Access mode.

Be sure to save you configuration before any power cycling (https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2105259).

Hope that can help

Regards,

Khai HOUANG

Brayton,

I'm at the point where I can not access my switch at the configured IP address, or the default IP address. I've performed the reset procedure a handful of times with no new results. Can you provide that firmware recovery procedure information? I've got a known good copy of the correct firmware, and tftp and dhcp services on standby, as I'm sure that's part of the process, but I can't find instructions online here, yet. Thanks for anything you can assist with.

- Carlos Diaz

Carlos,

Is the switch connected to a router or other DHCP server? If so, check the DHCP table to see what the new IP address of the switch is.

If the switch is connected only to your PC, then it will have 192.168.1.254. In that case, configure a static IP on your PC:

IP: 192.168.1.200

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: Blank

DNS Servers: Blank

With those settings you should be able to reach the switch at 192.168.1.254

- Marty

Marty,

Thanks for the reply. I removed all DHCP sources before attempting to power on the switch.  There is no pool from which a lease can be checked against.  I understand basic networking quite well, and teach it on a regular basis. The procedure I'm looking for is a recovery process for when the firmware currently being booted is suspected of being corrupt.  Do you know of or have such a procedure?

Thanks again,

- Carlos Diaz

Carlos,

There is no recovery procedure that I am aware of for the SG200-08. If you post the serial number I can tell you if it is covered under warranty. You can also call support and open a case:

www.cisco.com/go/sbsc

- Marty

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X