cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need clarification on static route pointing to interface for the LAN subnet

SP2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi- I am trying to find if anyone has configured the static route pointing to the LAN interface of the router to reach the local LAN subnets on the LAN( please note I am asking on its own side of LAN and not the remote LAN). Also is it mandatory to privide next hop IP for the IP statics or just an IP static pointing to the LAN interface should be fine. What is recomended generally and why? My router is connected to the L2 switch which is further connected to L3 device(firwall or somthing) with in that subnet.

Thanks for the guidance in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That's correct. It should work fine as long as the connecting device on fa0/0 knows how to get to those networks.

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What are you trying to do? If the router is in the same subnet as what you're trying to get to, there's no need to create a static route because it will see the subnet as a connected route. An IP static to the lan interface should work.

ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 fa0/0

Thanks for the quick response. I understand the router will see the same subnet as directly connected but I have other networks too on the LAN which needs to be reached. For those networks I need static route to be there in the router. So my question was- should I put individual static routes for those subnets with next hop IP address or point it to the LAN interface. I dont have next hop IP at the moment so I was going to put static routes like:

ip route 192..x.x.x 255.x.x.x fa0/0

ip route 172.x.x.x 255.x.x.x fa0/0

Hope it makes sense now.

That should work….

Thanks!

That's what I thought but my friends on other side disagree as they think the packets will be lost if we dont put the next hop IP for other subnets and use interface. In my point of view it should work, with only downside of some reverse ARP traffic on the broadcasting LAN interface. Do you agree with this ?

That's correct. It should work fine as long as the connecting device on fa0/0 knows how to get to those networks.

Thanks for validating and quick resposes!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card