Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

ipv6 isp

Unanswered Question
Oct 29th, 2011
User Badges:

I want to start testing and playing with IPv6. I barely (and I use that term lightly) understand the way ipv6 works,  but comming from a strong ipv4 background it shouldnt be that difficult.  My question is how do I get an internet ipv6 assigned to me.  Do I call up my ISP and ask them for one or pick one out of the sky and hope it works or do I have to use a tunnel?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Marcin Latosiewicz Sun, 10/30/2011 - 02:55
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Joli,

IPv6 is still routed so you have two (or more) options.

2001:db8::/32 is for your documentation purposes, you can run it to test configurations locally.

You got to ISP they will typically (might be depending on your actual connection type) assigng you a ULA (

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4193) + globally unique unicast /48 (enterprise) subnet or /64 (for end user). 

If your ISP does not offer native IPv6 support a lot of mechanism exist. 6rd, 6to4, ISATAP tunnels. I think you can even still establish GRE to HE and have IPv6 with them.

M.

Kyle Lenderlof Sun, 10/30/2011 - 03:11
User Badges:

Hey Joli,

you also can get Provider Independent Address Space from a Regional Internet Registry, but you have to accomplish some conditions to get such an address space. If your prefix shouldn't change when you switch to another ISP.

Actions

This Discussion