cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC lost wireless networks

rlaudicina
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 4402 WLC's and a central office and was trying to configure an H-Reap Ap but now the entire wireless network is down. Clients arent getting IP's. I cant see anything that is wrong but things are not working like they should. Please help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you plan on putting users on a different vlan at the remote (h-reap) sites, then you need to change the switchport the AP's are connected to. In h-reap you are no longer tunneling traffic if you setup local switching on the WLAN. It will be like an autonomous AP per say. Traffic gets dumped out to the switch the ap is connected to.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

36 Replies 36

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Robert,

Can you share how you are deisgn is today? How many aps and were they HREAP already ? Did they fail when you when to HREAP .. ?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

rlaudicina
Level 1
Level 1

Ok so I found that If I turned off H-Reap on the AP's and then on the WLANS the wireless is working again. I'm not sure why this is since the ap's are supposed to be hreap compatible.

Yes, I have a central office with 2 4402 WLC's. And 25 remote offices with 1-3 1142ap's. I just upgraded one of my 1141 AP's to a 3502 and enablde H-Reap in it. After some reading I learned that the WLAN's and AP's should all be configured for H_Reap instead of local but this is what broke the network. I could see the wireless but not get an IP address.

What I am trying to accomplish eventually is to use local DHCP server as the remote offices so that each client is assigned an IP off the local subnet instead of one big subnet here at corporate. It looks like H-Reap is the way to do this but I am having trouble figuring out how to configure it. Any advice would be appreciated.

That is weird. You should be able just to change the mode to h-reap with no issues at all. What I'm thinking is you might of had enabled h-reap local switching and then enabled h-reap. If that is what you did, you need to go into the AP and then click on the H-REAP tab on the AP. You need to configure the switch port to a trunk and allow only the ap managent vlan and any other vlans that you want for wireless. Then in the H-REAP tab on the AP, enable vlan support and set you management vlan and hit apply. I back into the H-REAP tab on the AP and click vlan mapping. Here you will define what ssid you want to map to what vlan. You will only be able to do this if you have H-REAP local switching enabled on the WLAN SSID in the advanced tab.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

yes I had H-Reap local Switching configured but had to turn this off to get the system working again. I thought that I could implement H-Reap without having to use vlan tagging and was hoping to just get the AP's into H-Reap mode and then do the VLan stuff later but I keep running into problems.

You should have any issues. If you don't have h-reap local switching on any of your wlan's then you should be able to switch from local to h-reap with no issues. I do that all the time.

Test with an AP local to the WLC.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

I actually did have local switching turned on but it is now off, Dont I want local switching and Auth?

Do things one at a time.

Enable local switching on the WLAN should not break your current setup especially if your AP's are in local mode. It the same if you don't have local switching enabled and you switch from local to h-reap.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

OK so I changed all AP's to Local and enabled Local switching but NOT local Auth on the Wlans and everything appears to still be up.

What do you mean by local auth on the WLAN?

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Under the Advanced tab on the WLan configuration there are two check boxes H-Reap Local switching

and H-Reap Local Auth. This is where I enabled Local Switching but not Local Auth. Is this incorrect?

You only need local switching.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Don't enable local auth. Just local switching and learn client ip address.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

So what you need to do now is setup your switchport to a dot1.q trunk and setting the native vlan on the trunk to the vlan the ap management ip is on. Let me know when you have done that and if everything is still okay.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: