Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel with Vmware on VSS

CSCO11177789
Level 1
Level 1

Hello;

In our environment we use 2 x 6509 with VSS configuration. On vmware machine we 've eight gigabit ethernets. So we connect each four ethernet to one chasis to create MEC.

According the design document on vmware side we connect 8 eth to one virtual switch and use ip hash algoritm for load balancing. For 6509 side we create portchannel and configure mode "on" . But when we run on this mode we couldnt reach server. So we changed the mode like "active". After this we successfully reach servers but when we look status of etherchannel and ports, we see ports are "up" but portchannel status is "down".

In fact we couldnt understand and try to find out why are we taking this status.

What do you suggest to solve this case ?

Thanks, Best regards

Umut

7 Replies 7

Derek Zhang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

probably you also need to check whether vmware support LACP at your current version/nic type.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Umut,

So, you are saying, the connectivity is up and running  i.e. servers can ping their default gateway and the switches can ping the servers, but the Etherchannel is down?

Reza

Hi again;

Yes, all ports are up but portchannel is seems down. Is it possible ?

If the portchannel goes down, there will be communication. Something else must be wrong.

what do you suggest ?

I suggest deleting and rebuilding the portchannel again. Follow the guide lines in this document.  What ver of IOS are you running?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SXF/native/configuration/guide/channel.html

HTH

ok, i'll do it as soon as poccible and inform you about results

unfortunately i have no access to customer site now so i couldnt give the ios information.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card