cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2950T IOS Update Failure

FrozenPixel
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to update a switch I bought to the latest IOS using the Cisco Network Assistant but the it is failing becasue it's saying I dont have the space.

In the CLI I get,

Switch#dir all-filesystems
Directory of flash:/

2  -rwx         109  Mar 01 1993 00:01:47 +00:00  info
    3  -rwx         270  Jan 01 1970 00:01:37 +00:00  env_vars
    7  -rwx     3081999  Mar 01 1993 00:03:23 +00:00  c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA1
.bin
    8  drwx        2688  Mar 01 1993 00:05:25 +00:00  html
   90  -rwx         109  Mar 01 1993 00:05:26 +00:00  info.ver

7741440 bytes total (1233920 bytes free)

Directory of nvram:/

30  -rw-           0                    <no date>  startup-config
   31  ----           0                    <no date>  private-config

32768 bytes total (32716 bytes free)
Directory of system:/

2  dr-x           0                    <no date>  memory
    1  -rw-        1133                    <no date>  running-config

No space information available

How do I clear all this out to make room for the new IOS. I'm trying to install ( c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA14.bin ). Any ideas?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Darryl,

I suggest using CLI directly to upgrade your IOS. I am not sure why the Cisco Network Assistant is refusing to upgrade your IOS. Yes, it would need to delete the current image and store in the new one but that is how the upgrade is supposed to happen.

Proceed as follows:

1. Place the new image on a network server into a folder that is accessible either via HTTP, FTP or TFTP from the switch. Let's assume it is HTTP (recommended).
  2. Verify that the switch can ping the server.
  3. Use the delete flash:c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA1.bin command to delete the existing IOS image from the FLASH on your switches
  4. Use the copy http://X.X.X.X/some_path/c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA14.bin flash: command to copy the new IOS image from the HTTP on the server X.X.X.X (replace with appropriate IP address and path) to your FLASH
  5. After the transfer is complete, enter the global configuration mode and enter the command boot system flash:/c2950-i6k2l2a4-mz.121-22.EA14.bin to configure the switch to immediately boot the new image
  6. Exit the configuration mode, save your configuration, reload your switch and hope for the best

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Igor Tiunov
Level 1
Level 1

Risky way, but still.

#del /rec /force flash:/c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA1

Thank you, I did try to use CLI to delete the bin file but no luck, kept saying no directory or file. I did delete through the Network Assistant and all went well after that. It upgraded no problem, restarted and its perfect. Thank you for your replies.

Darryl,

Most probably a syntax error or a typo when you entered the command. If that ever happens, please post the exact transcript of the entire session here so that we can identify the problem and help you.

Nevertheless, you did eventually find your way around this Very well!

Best regards,

Peter

Thank you Peter, I would guess your right with syntax.

One command I had tried was,

del /r/f flash:html

I found this online to clear off osme files but it failed, no such directory.

I appreciate your reply, I figured it was time to get on board and pick up these 2950T's, they are so affordable and seem like a great platform to learn on. I'm trying to figure out how I can use our Cisco at work to create a Vlan for 6 public AP's. What I am wanting to do is right now we have a completely separate network for the public wifi access but in order to monitor I have to take my laptop into the server and plug into the UTM, inconvenient.

What I'd like to do is plug the AP's into the Cisco switch and then just tie in the UTM so I can have access to the UTM over our private network but I have no idea where to start because I want to keep their subnets completely different and I do not want to expose our private network form the public wifi access.

So I bought these 24 port switches (only need one but they were so cheap ) and a router to act as my practice UTM appliance at home to set it up here first, then implement at work once I figure things out.

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Darryl,

I suggest using CLI directly to upgrade your IOS. I am not sure why the Cisco Network Assistant is refusing to upgrade your IOS. Yes, it would need to delete the current image and store in the new one but that is how the upgrade is supposed to happen.

Proceed as follows:

1. Place the new image on a network server into a folder that is accessible either via HTTP, FTP or TFTP from the switch. Let's assume it is HTTP (recommended).
  2. Verify that the switch can ping the server.
  3. Use the delete flash:c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA1.bin command to delete the existing IOS image from the FLASH on your switches
  4. Use the copy http://X.X.X.X/some_path/c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA14.bin flash: command to copy the new IOS image from the HTTP on the server X.X.X.X (replace with appropriate IP address and path) to your FLASH
  5. After the transfer is complete, enter the global configuration mode and enter the command boot system flash:/c2950-i6k2l2a4-mz.121-22.EA14.bin to configure the switch to immediately boot the new image
  6. Exit the configuration mode, save your configuration, reload your switch and hope for the best

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: