Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5548p at loader prompt

niranjandas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have this c5548p switch working for a while. Then recently it started rebooting itself frequently and finally going to loader prompt.

Does any one know how to boot using tftp server from the loader prompt? I tried but said file not found. The switch network settings seems ok. Can anyone send me a doc which explains how to work on the switch when it is in the loader prompt? Logs from the switch.

loader> boot tftp://10.13.250.22/tftpboot/n5000-uk9-kickstart.5.0.2.N2.1.bin

Address: 10.13.250.13

Netmask: 255.255.240.0

Server: 10.13.250.22

Gateway: 10.13.240.1

Booting: /tftpboot/n5000-uk9-kickstart.5.0.2.N2.1.bin console=ttyS0,9600n8nn qu

iet platform_type=2 loader_ver="pr-3.0"....TFTP error 1 (File not found)

Error 15: File not found

Thanks,

4 Replies 4

Vincent Jamart
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dear Niranjan,

Please find this video reference on how to restore a Cisco Nexus Switch from loader prompt: https://supportforums.cisco.com/videos/2546

Is your kickstart image with read access enabled on the TFTP server?

Best Regards,

Vincent

Amanda Hunt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Niranjan,

How big is the file you're trying to tftp? Its under 25 MB, right?

Are you sure your image file is in the directory you are attempting to access?

'File not found' is usually when you accidentally try to pull a file from a directory that doesn't actually contain the file.

Thanks for the reply. Video was really helpful.

For me it was accidental to get into loader prompt. But if i want to go the loader prompt when the switch is booting what "key stroke" need to be pressed? At MDS platform it was Ctrl-C or ESC. Also, is there any documentation explaining loader functionality.

Thanks.

Hi Niranjan,

Nexus has same keystroke as MDS, either CTRL-] or CTRL-C .

Cisco Nexus 5000 Series switches that run Cisco NX-OS 4.0(0)N1(2a) or earlier releases, use Ctrl-B

(Ctrl+Shift+B) instead of the Ctrl-].

We recommend that you set your terminal to a U.S. keymap first.

For loader state information, this is the boot sequence of a Nexus 5000. AS you can see loader is last step of BIOS before kickstart image starts:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/fundamentals/421_n1_1/Cisco_Nexus_5000_Series_NX-OS_Fundamentals_Configuration_Guide_Release_4_2_1_N1_1_chapter3.html#con_1073165

Best Regards,

Vincent