cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4410N : One network, Two SSID's...???

Ed Melendez
Level 1
Level 1

Even though I am concerned about purchasing the WAP4410N because of its reported problems (some of which I've experienced myself), I have a customer who has an extremely small budget, but would like to add value to their network by offering WiFi at their location.  Because of their small budget, I'm forced to attempt a setup that goes outside of my usual best practices, and I have a question to ask those fimilar with the product.

They currently have a router that is not VLAN capable, and I was wondering if the WAP4410N could be configured to service one subnet with two SSID's, one of which would be configured in guest mode?  The desired end result would be a private WiFi network (company_net) where the managers can work and communicate with devices on the network, and a secure network (company_guest) where customers cannot talk to anything on the local network, and are restricted to internet only access.

Does anyone with experience with the WAP4410N know if this setup is possible?

Thanks In Advance,

-Ed

3 Replies 3

Sujoy Paria
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ed,

It is possible to create two SSID on the WAP4410N with same IP subnet & at the same time you can block the access to the first SSID (as per you example; company_net) to the second SSID (company_guest). You need to just enable the “Wireless isolation: (between SSID)” on the Wireless security settings in WAP4410N. With that configuration intercommunication between those SSID will not work.

Note: For different SSID you can choose different security mode as per your requirement.

Best Regards,

Sujoy Kumar Paria

Thanks for replying Sujoy-

Will 'Wireless Isolation' also restrict wireless clients from communicating with clients on the LAN?

-Ed

Hi Ed,

‘Wireless Isolation’ will restrict the communication between the users connected via Wireless LAN on SSID1 & SSID2  (as per the example; company_net & company_guest).

If on the same IP sub-network you are connecting some users via Ethernet cable then ‘Wireless Isolation’ will not block communication to those users (from both the SSID).

Best Regards,

Sujoy Kumar Paria

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: