Views
Helpful
Replies

CCIE voice home lab

monasir
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone can help me building and setup my ccie voice lab.

I borrowed some equipment from a very good friend of my and it seems it fits very good in the ccie voice topology.

I would like to know how i can link everthing together so i can reach all my voice routers and switch at one time whitout replacing my console cable.

So i can configure eveything using by example securecrt/putty

It's the first time for me building a voice lab, my intentions are to prepare for the ccie voice lab exam.

But i got struggled and stuck whit linking everything together (switch & voice routers)

I already have all of my images ( CUCM ,  CUC,  CUP, and UCCX ) i'm using vmware because it's not neccesary to use a very expensive dell or HP server.

This is my equipment:

2 x 2811 voice routers ( whit vic /vwic modules and also fxs and fxo ports )

1 x 2621 voice router whit vic/ vwic modules fxs/fxo ports also

1x 2611 whit vic and wic

3550 poe switch

A couple of cisco ip phones and of course analog phones.

Cabling serial and cross.

But the main thing is that i got stuck whit the network confifurations otherwise i cannot reach my voice routers eithers.

Whit my whole lab i'm tring build a voice lab and simulate psnt/frame relay

Anyone has ideas/advise helping me out??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

michael-luo
Level 1
Level 1

Usually, we use a "terminal server" to access all devices with a console port.

In Cisco world, a "terminal server" is a router with multiple async ports (usually 8-port or 16-port).  Those ports connect to the console port of other devices (such as POE switch, voice gateways, etc.)

Then you SSH/Telnet to the terminal server and "reverse telnet" to other devices.  You may use alias to simplify this step.

If you are not familiar with the above, I suggest you get a workbook from the training vendors such as IP Expert, INE, etc.

Thanks!

Michael

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

michael-luo
Level 1
Level 1

Usually, we use a "terminal server" to access all devices with a console port.

In Cisco world, a "terminal server" is a router with multiple async ports (usually 8-port or 16-port).  Those ports connect to the console port of other devices (such as POE switch, voice gateways, etc.)

Then you SSH/Telnet to the terminal server and "reverse telnet" to other devices.  You may use alias to simplify this step.

If you are not familiar with the above, I suggest you get a workbook from the training vendors such as IP Expert, INE, etc.

Thanks!

Michael

Hi Michael,

I have read a document on the cisco site which tells you how to configure a cisco router as a Terminal server.

A very clear document.

But the problem is that you need a cable whit 2 different sides, one whit serial and on the other side you need 8 RJ 45 connectors.

I don't have that kind of cable.

I was wondering if there is another solutions.

Because i just want to connect whit the other devices.

I have 5 devices.

3550 poe switch

2x 2811 router

1x 2611 router

1x 2621

I also have serial cables and ethernetcables (RJ45)

Is there no possibility to use the serial cables? because i see i has one site DTE and the other side DCE?

I hope you help me out.

What about DHCP pool, or telnet?

There must be another solutions.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: