Views
Helpful
Replies

Global Search

Keavon Hunter
Level 1
Level 1

Global Search Questions and Guidance

We turned on Global Search for any user in our tool.  However, this was after we created over 150 services.  We didn't like the functionality due to permission issues especially during the Service Delivery moment.  Subsequently, we turned it off any suggestions on how to approach this without giving individuals too much access.  I know that permissions will have to be locked down during the Service Delivery moment and other moments, but are there any other risks?  The desired outcome is for any user to be able to go in the system a pull up a requisition/task and view the content (view only).  The OOTB role of MyServices Professional will not work due to it limits the user to view only req's that are associated to the user's business unit we have many business units that overlap, etc.  The users also want the ability to query using the filter and search functionality in Service Manager.  What's the best possible way to get to this reality?  I know the arduous work of changing access control on many of the service has to happen but I'm just looking for some other nuggets of wisdom so we don't trip over any other problems, thanks!!

3 Replies 3

Keavon,

I'm sure by now you have worked out all your "gotchas", but what we ended up doing was creating a custom role for all our service teams and added the global search capability to it.   That way if we ran into serious issues...all we had to do was revoke the capability.   The biggest risk I see is:

• Confustion when searching requisition status...unless you are trainned in ServiceManager, understanding req status us very difficult.
  • exposing attachments to everyone with global search rights.  Attachments are not locked down and can be modified by anyone who has access to view the requisition regardless if they have access to the form data.
  • Global Search capability adds "create public views" in the filter and search.  We had a scare where we thought everyone with global search rights could create public views for everyone to see in ServiceManger.  Glad there is a bug with this :)
  • Exposes all tasks to be reassigned to someone else.  Wish there was a way to lock approval tasks down separately.
  • Exposes all tasks to be adhoc'ed.

Im sure there are more, but these were the biggest "gotchas" we found.

- Angelo

Keavon Hunter
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for all the information we will continue down the Global Search path for everyone.  However, wewill to the heavy lifting of locking down the access control for all the services to mostly view. If someone or a group needs edit after the ordering moment they will have to have a special role for it depending on the service.

Emir AmEx (9.1)
Level 1
Level 1

use a webservice to display some info about a requisition number they type in