cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3725 as a pstn/frame-relay simulator

warquezho0612
Level 1
Level 1

Looking at INE topology for the ccie voice lab setup, I see that they used 3725 as a PSTN and Frame-Relay switch. I also see on their site the following

modules they used in 3725 router

(Qty 2) VWIC-2MFT-T1

(Qty 1) VWIC-2MFT-E1

(Qty 1) NM-HDV

(Qty 2) PVDM-12

Also looking at the specification of 3725 router it has the following

3 VWIC/WIC (data only)

Comparing the modules used by INE and the specification of 3725 router, does this support both PSTN and FRAME-RELAY capabilities? I ask because the

single NM-HDV will be combined with one VWIC-2MFT-E1 or T1, but how about the remaining two VWIC-2MFT E1 or T1 if INE only used a single NM-HDV?

Because the built in slots on the 3725 router supports the VWIC-2MFT-x1 but in DATA mode only, meaning FRAME-RELAY support only and not PSTN (voice).

Base on my understanding on the modules and 3725 router, to support both PSTN and Frame-Relay it should have this modules

(Qty 2) VWIC-2MFT-T1

(Qty 1) VWIC-2MFT-E1

(Qty 2) NM-HDV         --> One for VWIC-2MFT-T1 and one for VWIC-2MFT-E1

(Qty 6) PVDM-12        --> Four for one NM-HDV and two for the other NM-HDV

Please correct me if I'm wrong and if INE modules for PSTN/Frame-Relay is sufficient

1 Reply 1

warquezho0612
Level 1
Level 1

Update:

I think INE is correct!

I came to realize that when you use NM-HDV on 3725 router and put some PVDM-12 (probably 2 at most) you can use the Three Integrated WAN Interface Card (WIC) slots on it for Voice traffic! So you can now use 3725 router both for PSTN Simulator and Frame-Relay

Can anyone confirm this?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: