cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP discovery utility for SGE2000 24-port switch?

DDSINATLGA
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was handed two SGE2000 24-port 10/100/1000 switches.  The default IP address does not work on either of them.  Short of doing a hardware reset, is there an IP discovery utility that I can run.

If no utility, any suggestions how I can find the IP?

Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Dennis Svela wrote:

Hello,

I was handed two SGE2000 24-port 10/100/1000 switches.  The default IP address does not work on either of them.  Short of doing a hardware reset, is there an IP discovery utility that I can run.

Thanks.

Connect a PC with Wireshark on it and look at the packet captures?

I'm not really familiar with this kind of switch - but have you tried plugging into the console port and examining the configuration? The documentation on Cisco's web site indicates it's got a console port, so try plugging a serial terminal into it and see what you get. Documentation indicates that, unlike most Cisco switches, the console port on this runs at 115200/8n1 with no flow control instead of the usual 9600/8n1.

Cheers.

View solution in original post

Dennis Svela wrote:

Please disregard my last post.  Figured it out.  I was trying to use a different serial cable.  The one I used that worked must have come with the switch.  Looking back on the days using serial cables there were a lot of variables with serial pin outs.  Works fine with the first cable I used.

Thanks anyway.

Cisco switches and routers use a proprietary cable for the console port - a normal serial cable usually won't work.

Which is why they include one with every switch/router - so if you do a large scale deployment, you end up with dozens fo the things. :-)

Glad to help. Please mark your question answered so future people looking for something similar will know they can look here!

Cheers

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Dennis Svela wrote:

Hello,

Thanks.

Connect a PC with Wireshark on it and look at the packet captures?

I'm not really familiar with this kind of switch - but have you tried plugging into the console port and examining the configuration? The documentation on Cisco's web site indicates it's got a console port, so try plugging a serial terminal into it and see what you get. Documentation indicates that, unlike most Cisco switches, the console port on this runs at 115200/8n1 with no flow control instead of the usual 9600/8n1.

Cheers.

Thanks much Darren!  I tried the console port yesterday, but at 9600/8n1 Hardware.  115200/8n1 no flow control did the trick.

Much appreciate the tip.

Regards.

Since that worked on a non production switch I want to do the same on one that is in production - don't have the IP for it either.  On the non production switch, I powered it up after setting up hyper terminal and everything scrolled by and I was able to log in.

For the production switch, in hyper terminal do you how to get it's attention to log in?  Using the same parmeters.  Been so long since I used hyper terminal.  Tried enter twice, ctrl enter, etc.

Thanks for any advise.

Please disregard my last post.  Figured it out.  I was trying to use a different serial cable.  The one I used that worked must have come with the switch.  Looking back on the days using serial cables there were a lot of variables with serial pin outs.  Works fine with the first cable I used.

Thanks anyway.

Dennis Svela wrote:

Thanks anyway.

Cisco switches and routers use a proprietary cable for the console port - a normal serial cable usually won't work.

Which is why they include one with every switch/router - so if you do a large scale deployment, you end up with dozens fo the things. :-)

Glad to help. Please mark your question answered so future people looking for something similar will know they can look here!

Cheers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: