MultiSite UC540 handset remote presence indicators

Unanswered Question
Nov 23rd, 2011
User Badges:

We're newish to the Cisco world (Phone dealers with previous experiance with LG - iPecs Systems which do this easily)

We are considering a multisite solution with 3x UC540 (with incoming BRIs) - VPN between sites with approx 100 handsets.

The client 'expects' and we though very do-able is for example a receptionist at each site with their handset and attached sidecar to see the activity/presence of remotes handsets - ie ones reachable by dialing 8SXXX

It appears that this isnt possible!?

The only way to see presence is if they invest in a CallConnector server and each receptionist then purchases CallConnector Operator. This isnt really feasible as there are many users that want to be able to see the presence of others across sites.

We looked at CallConnector Advanced but this only shows the status of handsets registered to other computers running CCA - many phones dont have computers near/attached them.

Is there a work around for what we though was a really simple request?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
paolo bevilacqua Fri, 01/06/2012 - 03:43
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

With recent CME, you can now monitor remove extension status with presence service and blf-speed-dial. The details are explained in the system administrator guide.

focusonit Fri, 01/06/2012 - 12:58
User Badges:

Hi,

I'm quite new to this if you could give me some more clues as to how I can enable this it would make both myself ad the client very happy! Do you have a page number or URL for more information?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

paolo bevilacqua Fri, 01/06/2012 - 15:57
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Configuring Presence - a chapter of the guide mentioned above.

focusonit Fri, 01/06/2012 - 16:24
User Badges:

Hi,

I'm looking at  cca_31_sbcs_admin_guide the word 'Presence' doesnt appear anywhere when i search.

Page 335 talks about monitoring exensions however you can only seelct the extensions that are on the system you are configuring.

Your reply above wasnt very specific - can you give me a page number; I for the life of me cant find anything in there relating to remote extensions.

focusonit Fri, 01/06/2012 - 17:54
User Badges:

Hi,

Honestly no I have not - and it look EXACTLY like what i was trying to do…. (Anyone wanting some paid work helping me implement it?)

As I said previously this is my first install of a Cisco and while the Cisco people say 'it's so simple a sales rep can install one in 2 hours'

It very clearly isn't…

There also seems to be a great divide between the people who consider themselves CLI gurus and someone like myself who was sold the concept of a system that simple to install and has a GUI.

Within the first few hours of trying to set the system up to do the most basic of functions - like this it appears that you need to use CLI - but thats not supported for people like us with no experience. (understandably!)

I certainly don't consider myself to be a dumb person - I have had 20+ years computer and network experience with 'some' basic Cisco router CLI configs.

HOWEVER I really don't believe that the UC series should be sold as a system that can be configured using only GUI. The system is clearly very capable of so much more than the GUI allows for and I think the system is being sold and promoted for it's full feature set not just the features that can be accessed by CCA - this is where the trouble and frustration lies for someone like me.

I'm also finding it very hard here in Australia as the Level 1 tech people that we are asked to deal with are usually overseas and have NO understanding of our telco setups and ISDN configurations. (And I think some of them don't have a lot of depth in their knowledge and/or understanding of the UC)

paolo bevilacqua Sat, 01/07/2012 - 04:26
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Tim,

You make very valid point with your post above. But I think is better not to start another UC500 / GUI discussion in this forum, where we mostly discuss technical issues for all the "enterprise" voice systems.

I also apologize for having been grumpy or assuming in my previous answers, but can assure you that can it happen again .

Then regarding your difficulties in finding someone  in your Country that knows what he's doing, I can make a reccomendation  if you contact me privately at the e-mail address present in my profile.

In the meanwhile, please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below .

Actions

This Discussion