cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA 5510 w/ AIP-SSM scan internal traffic too?

Mike Thomas
Level 1
Level 1

The Cisco IPS 4240 is a little too expensive and has too much "horse power" for our needs. I know I can connect the AIP-SSM to our ASA 5510 to scan traffic going through the ASA. What if I have my core router on our internal network send all traffic from all nodes to the ASA as the next hop for review by the AIP-SSM instead of sending the traffic directly to the internal destination? Is this recommended? Will it work? Have you tried it?

5 Replies 5

Saar Harel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Michael.

The IPS 4240 runs

250 Mbps

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5729/ps5713/ps4077/ps5768/prod_bulletin0900aecd8030c5da.html

The 5510 runs either

150 Mbps (with AIP SSM-10)

300 Mbps  (with AIP SSM-20)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/prod_models_comparison.html#~mid-range

This will work.
As far as expensive , try getting used / refurbished.
There are a lot of companies like Myriad supply etc etc.

Saar

Thanks Saar

I not allowed to purchased used or refurbished equipment, but will give it another try.

Would you suggest pushing local node traffic destined for another local node through the AIP SSM-10 for inspection?

Hello Michael

The AIP SSM- has a limited Mbps so I would not recommend pushing the local traffic through it.

Saar

Saar Harel - Thank you for your input. I'm going to try for the Cisco IPS 4240 via Myriad. Now to get management to change their decision on used equipment.

Hi again Michael

When you here write that it can handle so and so much traffic then are you aware of that you control which type of traffic you pass through the SSM module through access-lists? hereby you can reduce the amount of traffic needed to inspect to a small fragment of the total traffic

best regards /ti

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: