cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection 8.5 MWI issue with MS Exchange Server 2010

warquezho0612
Level 1
Level 1

I have the following built in VMware and testing the new Unified Messaging of Unity Connection

Unity Connection 8.5

Windows Server 2008 R2 - Domain Controller

Windows Server 2008 R2 - Exchangse Server

So far so good as I've followed the guide that cisco produce in the integration. MWI works fine when new voicemail arrived, and exchange 2010 has the voicemail email as well. When I read/listen to the voicemail via phone or using thunderbird (via imap), the message on exchange 2010 server (via owa) will be mark as read. Same as when I try to mark the voicemail as unread via phone or thunderbird, exchange (owa) synchronized smoothly

My problem is when a voicemail arrived and I opened first in exchange (owa), the MWI on the phone and message on the thunderbird mail client is still there, when I listen to my phones voicemail, the message is considered new even though I already opened it in exchange (owa).

So I'm thinking that unity connection passess the traffic to exchange smoothly, but exchange cannot pass the traffic to unity connection, I have to reset the "Synchronize Connection and Exchange Mailboxes (Single Inbox)" in unity connection under unified messaging just for traffic propagation from exchange to unity connection.

I already did the following troubleshooting

1. Restart Jetty services in unity connection

2. telnet from exchange server to unity connection using port 7080

3. Turn of the firewall on the exchange server

4. No firewall appliance/software between exchange and unity connection (they are in the same lan)

Anything experienced and solved this same problem? I'm running out of idea as I'm not an exchange server guy

Thanks,

Mark

8 Replies 8

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

How long to you wait before it finally does change from on to off or off to on?    Depending on how your Exchange topology is, and your vmware settings.. it should just be a timing issue.       When you built this in vmware, is everything in VM you are testing with?

Also, can you run the test with Outlook client and not through OWA, etc.  IMAP is not always perfect for testing this with.  With IMAP, are you connected to Exchange or connected to Unity?

Hi Tommer,

Actually I did not wait more than 5min for the MWI to turn on to off vice versa, will try again to test if it will really turn from on to off or off to on. Yes everything is built in vmware, I'm only do a testing scenario and studying as well

I use Thunderbird (running IMAP) which is connected to CUC and not on exchange (I think you can only use IMAP in any email client to connect to CUCs email database). This is only for me to see if the MWI/mail status on the phone turn on/off off/on synchronize when phone is read either way. For exchage I use OWA to send/received messages

Does using outlook for exchange rather than OWA have any difference?

Just an update. I waited for about 10-15min a couple of times and saw  that a change from OWA propagates the CUCs Thunderbird (IMAP Client)  and IP Phone status syncs to the status change in the OWA.

But why it is taking 10-15 minutes for MS Exchange's OWA and IP Phone/Thunderbird (imap client) to sync with each other when traffic originates from the MS Exchange OWA's client?

Below is the version of CUC - 8.5.1.10000-26

Did you ever figure this one out?  I'm having the same problem.

Not yet as I have not conduct further test to solved the issue, maybe  some future updates will solve this integration since this is only new  between cuc and ms 2010. But considering the 10-15min update is not bad  and noticable

I just fixed my problem today!  My issue was due to a firewall problem.  I thought these new Exchange CAS servers were in the list allowed through the firewall and they weren't.  :-(  Sorry for the false alarm.

Let me just clarify, are you experiencing the same problem before as I  did where the voicemail propagates to the exchange 2010 server only  after 10-15min?

Also is the firewall you mentioned an external  appliance firewall or the windows firewall where the exchange 2010  server is installed? What specific port/program did you allowed on the  firewall?

That is not how i read your problem.  It sounded like propagating to Exchange was fine, but changes from Exchange did not get updated in Unity Connection right away.  My symptoms were that the voicemail message arrived in Outlook immediately.  If I read it or deleted from the phone, then Outlook reflected that right away too.  But if I read it or deleted it in Outlook, it took awhile for the phone MWI to go off.  In fact, when I just read it, I'm not sure it ever went off, but when I deleted it, it eventually went off.

We have our voice servers (including Unity Connection), sitting behind Cisco ASA firewalls.  We allow all traffic outbound from the voice servers, but restrict it coming inbound.  I have a server group for the Exchange servers that allows any port through.  I did not remember to add the new Exchange 2010 servers to this group.  TCP port 7080 appears to be the only port used.  I do not know how the voicemail eventually got deleted in Unity before, unless it eventually came from one of the Exchange 2007 servers.  But I definitely saw port 7080 getting blocked, and once we opened it up, the updates from Exchange to Unity happened within seconds.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: