enic and fnic drivers for VMware

Unanswered Question
Dec 5th, 2011

Hi, I'm running VMware 4.1 Update 1. I have read from a couple places that I'm supposed to upgrade my enic/fnic drivers. I have downloaded the drivers from Cisco's web site but they point me to vmwares web site (except for 5.0 -- they do have a driver for that).

So I downloaded vmware's 4.x drivers. Several different versions. None of them show as applicable when I try to load them through vmware. Most come up as 4.0 which obviously wouldn't be applicable, but the last one was 4.1 and VUM still didn't think it applied.

Any thoughts?

my fnic driver is 1.1.0.113.2blah

my enic driver is 1.4.0.261

I used this link to figure the versions out...

http://jreypo.wordpress.com/2011/03/15/how-to-check-the-driver-version-of-a-network-interface-in-esxi/

I have this problem too.
1 vote
Average Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
romoss Mon, 12/05/2011 - 19:14

Hi There,

I am seeing a similar problem here at a customer site using UCS Firmware 2.0.1q to 2.0.1s and ESXi 5

VMware have an updated fnic driver 1.5.0.6 which is the minimum supported version by Cisco

You should be using the newest enic and fnic drivers, however you can use the enic driver 1.4.2.15a (according to the TAC)

How are they not applicable?

Hope this helps

Jeremy Waldrop Tue, 12/06/2011 - 04:00

Therer are updated drivers for ESXi 5 in the ucs-bxxx-drivers.2.0.1e.iso driver bundle.

gballard@woodgr... Wed, 12/07/2011 - 13:06

Ok, well I guess I'll just use the 5.0 driver when I upgrade to vSphere 5 since I can't find the 4.1 driver.

jason.benedicic Fri, 12/09/2011 - 07:49

Which version of UCS is it?

I have seen many problems installing the enic/fnic drivers using VUM, perform a manual install using vSphere CLI (if ESXi) or esxupdate (ESX).

Last versions I used for UCS1.4 were:

Enic - 1.4.2.9

Fnic - 1.4.0.201

However there may be newer versions available now. There are two types available usually, the ones from Cisco will be the latest but won't usually be signed and so you'll need to use the nosig option when installing, or the ones from VMware which may not be as up to date but are signed.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

gballard@woodgr... Fri, 12/09/2011 - 08:18

Thanks a lot for your response Jason.

Good info regarding VUM. I did use  esxcli on vsphere 5 box (no vcenter = no vum) yesterday so I am familiar with that method.

We just upgraded to UCS 2.01s, but were on 1.4x before. I will try the cli method and thanks for the nosig comment, I figured that out the hard way yesterday

jason.benedicic Fri, 12/09/2011 - 15:41

Grant,

Let me know how you get on with 2.0(1s), I'd be interested to hear if you hit any issues or minor niggles along the way. I tried out 2.0(1t) today and have found a few issues (see discussion re: local storage).

Kind Regards,
Jason.

gballard@woodgr... Mon, 12/12/2011 - 14:30

Jason, we don't use local storage so I can't be of help there. My main problem is I get flogi errors which are cosmetic. I get them to go away, then I reboot a VM host and bang they come back. But I will be sure to whine, I mean post, about any things I see.

david.neece Fri, 02/08/2013 - 12:24

I have a similar problem only we are upgrading our UCS firmware to 2.1(1a) from 2.0(1q) in order to use the new B200 M3 blades. We need to upgrade our enic and fnic drivers for ESXi 4.1 U2.  current versions are 1.1.0.113.2-4mvw for the fnic driver and 1.4.0.261 for the enic.   I used the following link

http://www.cisco.com/web/techdoc/ucs/interoperability/matrix/matrix.html

to determine the new version we need to use and it says that we need 1.4.0.213 for fnic and 2.1.2.38 for enic.  I went to VMWARE to download and neither of these versions are available to download.   the latest versions that i can find fir cisco cna are 1.4.0.201 for fnic and 2.1.2.20 for enic.   We are using the M81KR adapter.  

Does Cisco have the drivers available?

david.neece Sun, 02/10/2013 - 06:56

The enic and fnic drivers are not on VMWare website as instructed in the compatability Matrix.   They are on the firmware 2.1(1a) iso.    Found this document which is very good at finding and explaining how to upgrade your enic and fnic drivers on ESXi hosts.

Cisco UCS Virtual Interface Card Drivers for ESX Installation Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/vic_drivers/install/ESX/2.0/b_Cisco_VIC_Drivers_for_ESX_Installation_Guide.html

The firmware version 2.1(1a) that we were upgrading to had the drivers on the ISO.  After that very simple.

CloudySky Thu, 02/28/2013 - 20:01

Just FYI, the updated drivers are now on the VMware My Downloads web page.

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted December 5, 2011 at 1:28 PM
Stats:
Replies:10 Avg. Rating:
Views:6557 Votes:1
Shares:0
Tags: No tags.
Categories: General UCS Hardware
+

Discussions Leaderboard