Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF, EIGRP and BGP

ssweehinlew
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

For OSPF, how the network from different area and autonomous system ID connect to each other?  Apart from tunnel, is there any other way?

How about EIGRP and BGP?

8 Replies 8

Hi,

You mean between different area and different proccess ID ??

Simply redistribue OSPF process into each other.

Regards,

Smitesh

Yes. May I know howv to redistribute the OSPF process into each other? Can show me example? I need to know that concept.

Hi,

If your Topo is something like R1 -- Area 1 --- R2 --- Area 2 --- R3.

router ospf 10

redistribute ospf 20 ?

match        Redistribution of OSPF routes

metric       Metric for redistributed routes

metric-type  OSPF/IS-IS exterior metric type for redistributed routes

route-map    Route map reference

subnets      Consider subnets for redistribution into OSPF

tag          Set tag for routes redistributed into OSPF

vrf          VPN Routing/Forwarding Instance

HTH,

Smitesh

Hi Ssweehinlew,

If you want to redistribute from one process into another you can do something like:

router ospf 1

network 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

redistribute ospf 2 subnets

router ospf 2

network 10.10.20.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

redistribute ospf 1 subnets

Is this what you wanted or was it something else you were looking for?

You must be very  careful however if you have more than one router doing this,  as without careful filtering you could end up redistributing a  redistributed route and end up in a routing update loop, which could  cause major routing issues.

Hope that helps,

Nick

Hi,

See the below link for the same scenario.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a00801069aa.shtml

When reditributing between different OSPF processes in multiple points on the network, it is possible to get into situations of subobtimal routing or even worse, a routing loop. To prevent this you need to you need to make the routes learned via OSPF 1 will always be preferred over external routes redistributed from OSPF 1 into OSPF 2

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Hi Naidu,

Yes, one must be preferred over the other, but you also have to prevent re-redistribution...

e.g.

router ospf 1

network 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

redistribute ospf 2 subnets tag 2 cost 1000 route-map NOTAG_1

distribute-list route-map NOTAG in

router ospf 2

network 10.10.20.0 0.0.0.255 area 0

redistribute ospf 1 subnets tag 1 cost 1000 route-amp NOTAG_2

distribute-list route-map NOTAG in

route-map NOTAG_1 deny 10

match tag 1

route-map NOTAG_1 permit 20

route-map NOTAG_2 deny 10

match tag 2

route-map NOTAG_2 permit 20

route-map NOTAG deny 10

match tag 1 2

route-map NOTAG permit 20

Nick

Hi Nick,

I am not sure about that, what I did exactly is as per the link I have provided in my post and it is working as desired.

Ssweehinlew, implement as suggested and come back to us if you face any trouble.

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Hi Naidu,

It depends greatly upon the subnets that are in use, their source (external / internal etc) and also if you are doing any summarisation.  For example if you have a summary route from one AS which happens to mask a route in the second AS, you can end up in a right mess without distribute and redistribute filters.

If your network is nice and clean, you can probably get away with just prefering one over the other - then the re-redistribution protection comes from tha fact that a route that you redistributed wouldn't make its way into your RIB.

Every network is different of course :-)

Nick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: