rv220w Inter-office wireless

Answered Question

Hi Folks!

Rather new at the Cisco hardware, so I'm hoping to get some help.

I performed a search on the subject of using the RV220W router as a wireless access point and found a few posts, but the solution is still eluding me.

I have the RV220W set up, and I can access it with a laptop via the wireless, get to the Internet as well as the network.

What I can't figure out is how to set this thing up so that it'll use our DHCP server for addresses.

I've configured the WAN with a static IP address, and disabled DHCP under the LAN config. But my test laptop still pulls an IP from the RV220W (which makes it so the laptop won't "speak" with our antivirus server, apply group policy changes, other systems on the network can't see it because it's on a different subnet, etc.)

What would be the best way to bypass any DHCP on the router?

Many thanks!!

-Brett

Correct Answer by mpyhala about 5 years 8 months ago

Hi Brett,

The easiest way to do this is to disable the DHCP server on the RV220W altogether. Give it a static IP in the same subnet as the other router and plug the routers together using the LAN ports. Ignore the WAN port on the RV220W to avoid NAT and firewall issues. Your wireless devices should get an IP from the other router.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
mpyhala Wed, 12/14/2011 - 11:52
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Hi Brett,

The easiest way to do this is to disable the DHCP server on the RV220W altogether. Give it a static IP in the same subnet as the other router and plug the routers together using the LAN ports. Ignore the WAN port on the RV220W to avoid NAT and firewall issues. Your wireless devices should get an IP from the other router.

Actions

This Discussion