Views
Helpful
Replies

Extending 10Gb/s LAN between sites

omega4ever
Level 1
Level 1

Good day all,

- For a simple 4x sites design for backup consolidation (3x sites connected to one central site), does the design in the attached JPEG make sense and is the configuration achievable using the specified parts?

Brief Explanation:

- Each site is to have servers with 2x 10Gb/s Ethernet (both teamed/bonded/etc) and one NIC on each of the 2x switches in the site (if possible). Each site will also have 2x Cisco Nexus 5596UP Switch (though the P version may be used instead of the UP).

- Two of the sites are within 10KM of the central site

- The last site is about 35KM from the central site

- It is required to have a minimum bandwidth of 10Gb/s between any site and the central site

- I have specified 10Gb/s LW SFP+ and 10Gb/s LW SFP+ (for the 2x 10KM and 1x 35KM sites)

- are there any special licenses needed?

- as asked before, can such a "simple" design work as-is?

- what sort of single-mode fiber would fit the bill (especiallyt for the 40KM link) - 9nm?

- any pointers to any basic details I am missing would be appreciated

(I just need to have an idea I am on the right path before getting the experts involved)

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Ayotunde Itayemi wrote:

Good day all,

- For a simple 4x sites design for backup consolidation (3x sites connected to one central site), does the design in the attached JPEG make sense and is the configuration achievable using the specified parts?

Brief Explanation:

- Each site is to have servers with 2x 10Gb/s Ethernet (both teamed/bonded/etc) and one NIC on each of the 2x switches in the site (if possible). Each site will also have 2x Cisco Nexus 5596UP Switch (though the P version may be used instead of the UP).

- It is required to have a minimum bandwidth of 10Gb/s between any site and the central site

- I have specified 10Gb/s LW SFP+ and 10Gb/s LW SFP+ (for the 2x 10KM and 1x 35KM sites)

- what sort of single-mode fiber would fit the bill (especiallyt for the 40KM link) - 9nm?

(I just need to have an idea I am on the right path before getting the experts involved)

Thank you.

The 5596 is an SFP switch, so you'd need to use SFP-10G-ER SFP's on each end for the long range site, and maybe get by with SFP-10G-LR on the shorter legs - both run on single mode fibre (up to 40k for the first, up to 10 for the second) specified by the G.652 standard - your cable supplier should be able to provide more details.

AFAIK, there are no additional licenses required to run 10 gig ports on the Nexus - you need to buy the correct modules, of course, but you'd have to do that if the switches were local anyway.

Given that you're running 5500 to 5500, you *should* be able to configure each pair of 5500's at a site into a VPC and give yourself 20 gig between sites (subject to LACP pathing etc) which would give you redundancy as well as more than your minimum speed requirements.

I can't see anything in this which won't work as you've drawn - there are more details, obviously (layer 3 stuff, for example) which shouldn't affect the layer 2 and layer 1 configurations.

I wish I had your budget! :-)

Cheers.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Ayotunde Itayemi wrote:

Good day all,

Brief Explanation:

Thank you.

The 5596 is an SFP switch, so you'd need to use SFP-10G-ER SFP's on each end for the long range site, and maybe get by with SFP-10G-LR on the shorter legs - both run on single mode fibre (up to 40k for the first, up to 10 for the second) specified by the G.652 standard - your cable supplier should be able to provide more details.

AFAIK, there are no additional licenses required to run 10 gig ports on the Nexus - you need to buy the correct modules, of course, but you'd have to do that if the switches were local anyway.

Given that you're running 5500 to 5500, you *should* be able to configure each pair of 5500's at a site into a VPC and give yourself 20 gig between sites (subject to LACP pathing etc) which would give you redundancy as well as more than your minimum speed requirements.

I can't see anything in this which won't work as you've drawn - there are more details, obviously (layer 3 stuff, for example) which shouldn't affect the layer 2 and layer 1 configurations.

I wish I had your budget! :-)

Cheers.

Thanks a lot Darren!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card