Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up static IP for client

wpgiven
Level 1
Level 1

Initial setup with RV220W completed without difficulty

Need to set up static IP for one of the machines in the LAN (not static IP for WAN)

I presume I use the static DHCP option, which allows me to select a particular IP for the machine I select based on it's MAC

1. My confusion stems from the manual stating that "the IP address that you pick should be outside the DHCP address range specified on the Networking> LAN(local network)>IPV4(local network)page".

Does that mean that the range on the IPV4 local network page should be modified to exclude the IP address that I want to use for the static IP....

e.g. change the range from 1-255 to 1-200 and then use an IP of XXX.XXX.X.201 for instance

or

does that mean that as soon as I choose an IP on the Static DHCP page, that if will reserved for use only on that machine and not used for another machine on the LAN, without me having to do something else to exclude it's use (i.e. does reserving a static IP automatically remove it from the range of IPs available to other machines)

3. If I simply set a static IP on the local machine by going to "change network adapter" settings, what's the liklihood that the router might use the same IP on another machine

Basic questions from a neophyte.

Thanks for your patience

Bill

2 Replies 2

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

>Does that mean that the range on the IPV4 local network page should  be modified to exclude the IP address that I want to use for the static  IP....

e.g. change the range from 1-255 to 1-200 and then use an  IP of XXX.XXX.X.201 for instance

That's right.

You want to reserve static IP addresses in a range that does not overlap with the range that is allocated for generic DHCP clients. For example, you can define the DHCP pool to be 50~149, and reserved IP addresses to be 2~49 (for servers).

Got it.

Thanks for the reply

Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: