cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voicemail Documentation

danplacek
Level 4
Level 4

We have recently had some issues with customers not understanding the voicemail menus.

Is there any documentation on the voicemail system? Perhaps a "menu tree" showing the available options?

If not, I would like to request this.

The biggest item of confusion for users is switching between their main greeting and other greetings (alternate / temp).

Its fairly clear how to record them, but not how to set which is active.

I've noticed that in general the UC320 platform is lacking good documentation. (the only "end-user" documentation that I know of is the reference card that comes with the system -- and that is only mildly useful. We have generated our own instructions for things like transferring, parking, viewing the directory, etc -- but it would be nice if there was some official CIsco docs -- customers tend to give me a blank look when I tell them "No, the system does not have any kind of manual.")

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your feedback on documentation.  Were you aware of all of the documentation found on the UC320 Documentation page of the Support Community?  Specifically, the UC320 Phone User Guide should be useful for end customers.

I've just reviewed the next draft version of the document for the upcoming 2.2 feature release.  Voicemail greetings is one of the new sections in the updated document.

We try to put as much as the system documentation that you, the partner would need in the online help of the Configuration Utility.  If there are other pieces of end user documentation that are missing, we would appreciate the feedback.

I'll try to explain how the voicemail greetings work.  There are 3 greetings:  Busy, Unavailable, and Temporary.

Unfortunately, there is a bug where the Busy greeting isn't played when the user is on the phone.  The Unavailable greeting is played when the user doesn't answer the phone, or in the case of the bug is busy on a call.  The third greeting is the temporary greeting.  If you record a temporary greeting it will take precedence over Busy and Unavailable greetings until you explicitly delete the Temporary greeting.  We have an enhancement bug open to try to improve the end user experience (change the prompt to say this greeting will remain active until deleted or to add an expiration time/date)

Thank you,

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I was not aware of how much documentation is in there -- the phone manual seems pretty good.

The only thing that seems to be missing is a good document laying out the voicemail menu's.

I also noticed that there are a couple broken links on that page, just so you know.

Thanks for the insight into the voicemail system -- it's unfortunate that you have to delete the temporary message in order to switch back... I have customers who would like to have multiple pre-recorded messages that they can switch easily. I would take that enhancement bug a step further and actually fix the problem instead of simply making users aware of it.

Thanks.

malonejfm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Thanks for this useful thread.

We are also looking for a menu tree of the voicemail on UC320..

Specifically - what is the delete button?  E.G: Press 3 while listening to Voicemail, Press 23 to delete all messsages, etc.

If you could post a draft of what is coming in the 2.2 release of documentation would be great?

It would be great if possible to configure the maximum lenght of a message, currently the max lenght is 10 minutes, and each mailbox can only have total of 30 minutes - this means Max 3 messages if you have people dialing in leaving long messages.

This specifically is a problem in Ireland, as the UC320 does not detect disconnect.  Our incumbent (Eircom), does not send disconnect tones or line reversal - just silence on disconnect, but Silence detect is not a possible option for disconnect detection on UC320, full details at link below:

The UC320W is automatically pre-configured to detect disconnect supervision using a number of methods including:             

• Battery Removal (timed loss of loop current).
  • Battery Polarity Reversal.
  • Disconnect Tone (specified duration, and single or multi tone frequencies to detect as "Call Disconnect").

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-16469#Line_Wont_Disconnect

If you could release a PMF File to allow configurable Max voicemail duration, of reduced lenght (e.g: 2/3 Minutes), would be of great benefit to our Market.  Or alternatively a PMF that enables silence Detect as a disconnect supervision method.

Best regards,

John Malone

Cisco Partner and Experts in UC320W / UC540 in Ireland & UK

Provident Technology

As Chris mentioned, the phone user guide is being expanded for the 2.2 feature release. In the meantime, I have posted a draft that you can use. Please let me know if this information meets your needs or if you have additional questions that should be addressed.  Thanks for helping us to improve the documentation.

See: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-22293

Thanks,

Laurel

That's perfect - exactly what I needed - thank you.

John Malone

Cisco Partner and Experts in UC320W / UC540 in Ireland & UK

Provident Technology

http://www.providentit.com

+44 161 6602996 / +353 1 4403685

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: