N1K 10Gb Pass through to 2232p/5K

Answered Question
Dec 19th, 2011

Hello,

We are about to implement Nexus 1000v's on HP ESX hosts using vCenter 5.0.

The ESX hosts will each be using 2 - 10Gb pass throughs connected to two different 2232P's which are support by two N5K's.

I am configuring the uplink port-profile to use the following:

channel-group auto mode active

Which will, if I understand correctly, use LACP so that each interface of a given VEM will be part of a port-channel.

What I need to know is there any special configuration that I need to make on the 5K's to support the VEM's port channels?

Do I need to create a seperate port-channel for each of the VEM's (on the 5K) before I have the server admins bind the physical interfaces to the uplink port-profile?

The 1000v's are version 4.2(1)SV1(4a) and the 5K's are version  5.0(3)N1(1c).

Thanks!

Bob

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Matthew Wronkowski about 3 years 7 months ago

Hello Robert,

You have the right idea. Each VEM will need a separate VPC port-channel on the n5ks. Search for Nexus 1000v Port Channel Best Practices for a full configuration.

Note we have seen issues where the HP Passthrough and SeverEngines NICS drop LACP PDUs. A firmware update on the Passthrough and/or NICS will correct this behavior.

Matthew

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Matthew Wronkowski Fri, 12/23/2011 - 10:47

Hello Robert,

You have the right idea. Each VEM will need a separate VPC port-channel on the n5ks. Search for Nexus 1000v Port Channel Best Practices for a full configuration.

Note we have seen issues where the HP Passthrough and SeverEngines NICS drop LACP PDUs. A firmware update on the Passthrough and/or NICS will correct this behavior.

Matthew

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Tyrone Van Der Haar Tue, 10/16/2012 - 02:04

Hi,

Could you please provide more information about the problems you have been experiencing regarding the pass thru module and the resolution.

Regards

Tyrone

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content

Trending Topics: Other DC Subjects