Views
Helpful
Replies

N1K 10Gb Pass through to 2232p/5K

Robert Slusar
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are about to implement Nexus 1000v's on HP ESX hosts using vCenter 5.0.

The ESX hosts will each be using 2 - 10Gb pass throughs connected to two different 2232P's which are support by two N5K's.

I am configuring the uplink port-profile to use the following:

channel-group auto mode active

Which will, if I understand correctly, use LACP so that each interface of a given VEM will be part of a port-channel.

What I need to know is there any special configuration that I need to make on the 5K's to support the VEM's port channels?

Do I need to create a seperate port-channel for each of the VEM's (on the 5K) before I have the server admins bind the physical interfaces to the uplink port-profile?

The 1000v's are version 4.2(1)SV1(4a) and the 5K's are version  5.0(3)N1(1c).

Thanks!

Bob

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mwronkow
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Robert,

You have the right idea. Each VEM will need a separate VPC port-channel on the n5ks. Search for Nexus 1000v Port Channel Best Practices for a full configuration.

Note we have seen issues where the HP Passthrough and SeverEngines NICS drop LACP PDUs. A firmware update on the Passthrough and/or NICS will correct this behavior.

Matthew

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

mwronkow
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Robert,

You have the right idea. Each VEM will need a separate VPC port-channel on the n5ks. Search for Nexus 1000v Port Channel Best Practices for a full configuration.

Note we have seen issues where the HP Passthrough and SeverEngines NICS drop LACP PDUs. A firmware update on the Passthrough and/or NICS will correct this behavior.

Matthew

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi,

Could you please provide more information about the problems you have been experiencing regarding the pass thru module and the resolution.

Regards

Tyrone

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: