Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2112 Wireless LAN Controller and Apple TV Airplay

fartbox007
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am having a trouble with using iTunes, iPhones and iPads on our Wireless LAN. We have the 2112 WLC and 10 1142N WAPs. If I do a network scan, I can see the Apple TV and see that port 5353 is open, which is Apple's Bonjour service.  However, if I try to play music/video in iTunes, or on an iPhone/iPad, I do not see the Airplay icon.  If I plug into the LAN, the Airplay icon appears immediately. I have created an allow all rule in the ACL but still no dice.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

Benmar

This Solution has been added in the following document

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-21728

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So you enabled IGMP snooping. Under controller, you have multicast enabled and a multicast address too?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

28 Replies 28

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello "Fart Box",

There are a few dependecnys for these devices to work. First all the devices MUST be on the same SUBNET. Secondly, multicast needs to be enabled.

Are both of these comments correct on your network today ?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hello George,

Sorry for my sophomoric name. I didn't realize I had made it that.

Anyhow, yes.. the IP of the Apple TV is 192.168.200.133 and the iPhone is 192.168.200.50

I believe I have enabled Multi-cast in Controller > Multicast > Global Multicast Mode

Thank you for your help.

Benmar

So you enabled IGMP snooping. Under controller, you have multicast enabled and a multicast address too?

Hi George,

My case is a little bit more complex, in the lab I could configure mDNS on my 5508 with the global multicast and igmp snooping disabled. Only I needed was Global mDNS multicast enabled (from Cisco Guide) and it worked fine under the following scenarios:

All the services connected wireless

IPAD on subnet A and Apple TV on subnet B, no Firewall in the middle. Peer to Peer Blocking in the WLC was any DROP or DISABLED and it worked fine.

BUT, when I moved into production environment, the only way that it works is by having both Apple Devices in the same subnet with the Peer to Peer bloking DISABLED. I have a firewall in the middle so I do not know what should I check in the firewall to allow Airplay to work.

There is something really weird. in the IPAD, I can see the AIRPLAY icon at the bottom of the screen, when I click on it, I can see MIRRORING and I moved it to the right to activated it BUT nothing happens on the AppleTV connected to an screen. I mean, looks like the request for MIRRORING from the IPAD to the Apple TV device is not reaching this one. A few seconds after activating MIRRORING in the IPAD looks like the request is dropped since that the mirroring is not active.

I have an open case with TAC but any ideas are welcomed.

By the way, I am running v 7.6 in the WLC in order to implement mDNS (no bonjour gateway required, intervlan traffic managed by the WLC) and also LSS.

thanks

Abraham

I find it funny that CSC is blocking F A R T with **** thats funny ...

George, you are a genius sir.  Setting the multicast address to 239.0.0.0 made the Airplay icon appear immediately.

Thank you so much for your help.

Benmar aka F A R T Box

No worries just glad to worked out for ya ! Enjoy your apple toys!

Bernie Crawford
Level 1
Level 1

You guys are freakin geniuses!  Thanks for the help.

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm glad you could find a solution. Feel free to support the rating system and rate helpful post !

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Vinay Sharma
Level 7
Level 7

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-21728

Thanks,

Vinay Sharma

Thanks & Regards

I tried to configure this on a 2106. But have no luck.

Any advice?

Have you configured your wired side for multicast ? Also all your apple devices need to be in the same subnet ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi George,

I've activated Multicast and IGMP Snooping in Controller->Multicast.

The Multicast Group Adress in Controller->General is 224.0.0.251

The Web-Interface on my 2106 differs in many things compared to the Howto mentioned in Vinay Sharma's Post.

It's hard to verify that you have configured everything. Can you post your config and tell us what WLAN SSID these devices are on.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: