cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with SNMP and Cisco Prime LAN Management Solution Version 4.1

jenssk
Level 1
Level 1

We use Cisco Prime LAN Management Solution Version 4.1 to maintain and monitor our 1000 Switches.

In addition to this, we use Kiwi-Syslog.

Now I have a problem I can not find out. 2 of the switch (WS-C3750G-48PS-S) reports that the CW has tried to log on, but they were rejected because of error "Authentication failure"

The strange thing is that it pops up an error message with only seconds. I have checked the layout of the CW multiple times and run Device Credential Verification. Everything looks OK, but the error messages continue to flow on.

The last thing I did was to remove the Switch from CW, but it did not help either. CW is still trying to log on from 10.249.12.4.
The error message I get is:

01-03-2012          12:22:49          Local7.Debug          10.249.12.4          community=xxxxx, enterprise=1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.5, enterprise_mib_name=snmpTraps, uptime=637958643, agent_ip=10.249.12.4, generic_num=4, specificTrap_num=0, specificTrap_name=snmpTraps.0, version=Ver1, generic_name="Authentication failure", authAddr.0=146.2.6.28, 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.412.1.1.1.0=1, 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.412.1.1.2.0=146.2.6.28

(I have changed the string with xxxx, but has assured me that it is correct)

I also have removed all references to the ACL lists and Both switches are running Version 12.2 (55) SE4

Anybody have a  good advice?

Jens

I enclose a printout from Sh SNMP

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You're not running SNMP v3 by any chance are you?

Hi Marvin

Hi Marvin

No, not that I know of , except that I have activated something by mistake

jens

OK, Guys .. maybe a little difficult this issue, but does anyone have an idea of what it is CiscoWorks are doing when it asks Switchas often as 6 times per minute. Is there a log file I can check.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jens

During an acquisition discovery it would not be unusual to see snmp get / getnext walking through a device's MIB table. You can always use a packet capture tool on the CiscoWorks servers filtered to just the queried device in question and examine the requests.

Outside of the discovery process I would not expect to see that volume of queries unless an operator was performing specific actions on a device using CiscoWorks,

Hello.

Now I have analyzed the SNMP traffic with wireshark. It turns out that the CiscoWorkssend correct SNMP string, but it adds an @100 (xxxx@100).

I do not know how or where it happens. All tests on Credential Verification from CW says OK.

Hope some of you experts can tell what is wrong and how I can fix this up

I attach a picture from wireshark

Regards Jens

Norwegian Public Roads Administration, Norway

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: