Views
Helpful
Replies

Do I need a WLC for Outdoor Mesh?

gariup.guido
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to start implementing a small outdoor mesh network of 3 APs Aironet 1550 in order to grow afterward with more APs. Is there any way to configure those 3 APs in an outdoor mesh configuration (for example, only one RAP and two MAPs) without a Wireless LAN Controller or I have to have at least, one WLC? My idea is to have a WLC 5508, but at the very beginning I don't know if my budget is gonna allow me to cost the WLC.

Thanks,

Guido.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Here is a post that you can reference.  Hope this helps.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3401393#3401393

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You will need a WLC.  There is no support for autonmous on those devices.

-Scott

Here is a post that you can reference.  Hope this helps.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3401393#3401393

-Scott

Scott,

As always, thank you very much. I have one more question before closing this thread. The WCS is also needed for the solution or only with the APs and the WLC is OK?

Thanks again.

Guido.

You would need the WCS if you want to do reporting and/or you have multiple WLC.

I mean you can still use multiple WLC but the WCS would be better in "managing" multiple WLC. 

No problem.... Leo provided you with the wcs info.

-Scott

One more thing, WCS?  Do NOT get WCS.  This product has been superseded by the Prime NCS.

Whether or not you should consider the VM-version or the hardware version will depend entirely on the number of WAPs you plan to have. 

Thank you very much Leolaohoo.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: