Views
Helpful
Replies

6504 with sup720 , (model - WS-SUP720-3B) - sup-bootdisk is not detected

saravana_api
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am working remotely for 6504 with sup720 , i cant see sup-bootdisk: by issueing "dir ?" command, but physically memory is seated on SUP card board.

when i am trying to copy from disk0: to bootdisk: , i am seeing following error.

copy disk0:72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH4.bin sup-bootdisk:
                                                                        ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

I cant guess what would be problem... how could i check wheather sup-bootdisk seated in sup-engine card is fine or not? thru command.

Thanks

Sarah

8 Replies 8

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sarah,

What do you want to do here? Do you want to copy the image file from disk0 to Sup's boothflash?

Could you please paste the output of " dir ? "

Also what does " dir sup-bootflash:" shows you?

Cheers,

-amit singh

Hi Amit,

I need make sup-bootdisk is backup for  disk0:XXXXXX.bin  , but i dont find in directory.. so i need to confirm wheather sup-bootdisk is present or not in supcard-board by applying the comamnd.

but physically verified sup-bootdisk is there on sup-enginer card.

dir ?
  /all              List all files
  /recursive        List files recursively
  all-filesystems   List files on all filesystems
  bootflash:        Directory or file name
  cns:              Directory or file name
  const_nvram:      Directory or file name
  dfc#3-bootflash:  Directory or file name
  dfc#4-bootflash:  Directory or file name
  disk0:            Directory or file name
  disk1:            Directory or file name
  flexwan-fpd:      Directory or file name
  null:             Directory or file name
  nvram:            Directory or file name
  sup-bootflash:    Directory or file name
  sup-microcode:    Directory or file name
  system:           Directory or file name
  tar:              Directory or file name
  tmpsys:           Directory or file name

dir
Directory of disk0:/

1  -rw-    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  s72033-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH3a
    2  -rw-    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  s72033-ipservices_wan-mz.122-33.SXI.bin
    3  -rw-    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH4.bin

512245760 bytes total (261865472 bytes free)

dir sup-bootflash:
Directory of sup-bootflash:/

No files in directory

65536000 bytes total (65536000 bytes free)

Thanks

Sarah

Sarah,

Please can you paste the output of "Show version" and " show file system" from your Sup.

Thanks.

-amit singh

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sarah is what you showed in your first note a misprint , if not the imagename is not correct as its missing the "s"  in front of the 72033 so the name would be invalid. Copy and paste the output from your dir disk 0:   and retry your copy command.  Also believe sup-bootflash and sup-bootdisk are the same  so try to use sup-bootflash instead.

Hi Glen.

Nice catch on the image file name.

For  Newer IOS on the SUP720-3B's, we have started shipping a Compact Flash  card for the Sup flash. Sup720-3B with the new CF cards Sup-bootflash  and Sup-bootdisk: are not the same.

Sup-bootflash refers to the internal flash memory which is less or = to 64MB.

Sup-bootdisk: refers to the CF card installed on the SUP as the internal flash memory which is around 512MB.

-amit singh

Probably on earlier models it may have been limited to 64 meg on sup-bootflash but I know on our newer S720's we have a gig of memory in sup-bootflash:  .  She does not look like she has sup-bootdisk so she should use sup-bootflash if she has enough room for the image.

Agree with you on this Glen.

There could be 2 reasons for Sup-bootdisk: not to show up

1. The Supervisor engine is not running the required SP rommon version to recognize the Compact Flash. We need minimu of 8.4(2) SP rommon version to get the flash disk recognized.

2. If Compact flash card has been used previously then the Compact Flash card could be corrupt and can not be read. The only solution for this would be to RMA the CF card.

Cheers,

-amit singh

the sup is installed on cf card when system boots up, there is hidden partions on cf card that u cant see,  

your probem lays in a cf card, take card out scan it on pc and i bet find errors, then put back in cisco and rescan it ,  your prob should go away unless the cf card is damage, 

how do i know this  i was trying copy files from sup to flash memory told me i could not copy it to same location.  so made me think i got a program no matter format or how parttion it can see parttions , i found the partions on cf card, why one gig, it ack build the os on the card and make partions as requires, not i update the hardware and the pak file did something odd it made ton of partions on disk0 but boot program is on bootdisk: in rom sup is not there, it only untill u boot the system will u find these partions,  now to another error in above i have two cards with boot bios of 12,2 these was not flash in fack the boards are diffrent then 8,2 battery bigger for one, these was last cards cisco put out makes them the newsey,  and being the newest they can do things the olderboards can not,   there been 3 versions of board made the 3ed version or last to date is most costly boards to get your hands on , most all runs over 1000.00   now one thing i dont understand is one board has two boot bios and cf card the other card has two gigs memory and one gig cf card, and i dont understand why this be done,  as i seen 1000s of boards is first i ever seen configer this way and takes diffrent battery, so i say it was last boards made they are bran new old stock, been sitting for years, i decied get them out put new batterys in them maybe sell the lot idk, was fun toy but not for a home

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card