Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection deleted messages

mightyking
Level 6
Level 6

Hi All,

Is there any way that we can recover a deleted Voicemail message? Unity Connection 7.1

Thanks,

MK

9 Replies 9

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Questions:

1.  Are deleted messages moved to the Deleted Items folder (default) or automatically deleted?

2.  How long ago was the message deleted?

The point of questions 1 & 2 is to determine if a user could recover the message based on standard settings.  Alternatively, then you may consider another option (see question 3).

3.  Do you have DRS backups for the server/cluster?  On 7.x, take a look at the DRS Message Fisher.

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/CxN/DRSMessageFisher/Help/DRSMessageFisher.htm

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Thanks David,

Under Class Of Service, the d

Thanks,

MK

MK,

See below:

Delete Messages Without Saving to Deleted Items Folder

Check this check box to indicate that Cisco Unity Connection permanently  removes messages when users who are assigned to this class of service  delete them. Uncheck the check box to instead have Connection move  deleted messages to the deleted items folder, allowing users to retrieve  them later.

Default setting: Check box not checked.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/gui_reference/guide/7xcucgrg020.html

By "Default setting", the documentation is referring to the "Voice Mail User CoS" class of service that is provided as a default configuration.  FWIW, I encounter a lot of clients that leverage "default" settings that may or may not be default.  For that reason, I always leave the majority of the system defaults intact and create "custom" configurations that are used for client configurations.  The primary reason being that you can always refer to the default settings for comparison (assuming they have not been updated for some reason).

Hailey

David,

Is there a way that I can see if the setting under the Class Of service has been changed. I would like to know when the default setting has been modified.

In my case there's no way that I can retrieve the deleted message? The deleted message belongs to our Chief Officer and it's really important if I could help him to do so.

Thanks,

MK

I'll correct myself on the reference to "Default setting", the document indicates that this would actually refer to when a new CoS is created.

For the main question of can you retrieve the message...this is likely a matter of timing vs. availability of DRS backups.  I don't personally know of a way to easily (if at all) restore a message that has been permanently deleted.  An option might be to use the DRS message fisher and attempt to pull the message from a backup that occurred before the message was deleted (which is why I'd think this is likely a matter of timing).

Hailey

I really apprciate taking the time and helping me.  I have a class of service called "Voice Mail User COS". Could that be the default one?

Thanks,

MK

Yes, that is a default Class of Service created during installation.

Hailey

The doc indicates that the default setting for "Delete Messages Without Saving to Deleted Items Folder" box not checked but ours shows checked. Is there any way that I can see when this modification has been done?

If the "Delete Messages Without Saving to Deleted Items Folder" box is checked than there's no way that we can recover a deleted message. Am I right?

Thanks,

MK

It would (IMO) be difficult to determine when/why/how the parameter changed.

If a message has been permanently deleted then you wouldn't be able to recover from the system as-is. Only option would be the DRS message fisher to try and pull a message from a DRS backup but again, this may not be an option in your scenario as it would depend on timing and availability of backups. See the link for full details on that application.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: