cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC320 External Paging Port - Preamp Required?

norcabkitchen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am currently installing a paging system to work with the UC320 phone system. The Paging system is from Viking Electronics (PA-30) with 6 paging horns.

I currently have a night bell relay from my timeclock hooked up, and the system works great. Very loud.

When I connect the page out port of the UC-320 to the 3.5mm input jack on the PA-30, the paging works but is extremely quiet.

To troubleshoot, I connected an analog telephone to the PA-30 and tried paging from it. Works excellent, very loud.

I ensured the page volume was at full in the UC-320 web admin.

I called viking tech support. They say if the night clock tone is loud, the analog paging is loud, then there is an issue with the UC-320 source.

Is it likely I need a preamp from the UC-320? It's not like I'm going very far from the two units though. Only have a 16" cord.

So it would go     UC-320  -----> Preamp  -----> PA-30 amplifer.

8 Replies 8

Hi Ryan,

No preamp is needed.  If your speakers are passive you will need an amplifer though.

Chris

Hi Christopher,

They are passive horns. They do have an amplifier (viking PA-30).

They work great with every other 3.5 mm input, be it a laptop or my iphone. This is using the same cable as connected to the UC320

The UC-320 that is the only device giving me an issue with sound.

Is there a way I can test the output of the paging port with a multimeter? I have a spare 3.5 mm cable that I can cut up if needed.

EDIT: I tried connecting just a set of basic powered computer speakers with it, and same with the low sound volume, even with the speakers turned up full. Plugged into a computer, they are normal.

Hardware defect?

Hi Ryan,

I assume you are on a current firmware such as 2.1.4 or 2.1.5 and have already checked the volume level in the Configuration Utility on the Call Paging page (should be to far right).  Cable is firmly seated in the UC320W.  Can you tell if the cable end is mono or stereo 3.5mm end?

A quick test you can do is to plug in some unamplified headphones into the paging port and call the port.  It should be clear and with good volume level.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I am using firmware 2.1.5. Volume is all the way up (47.00) in the web utility. Cable is firmly seated. Mono cable, not stereo is being used.

I have tried the unamplified headphones, and there was poor volume again. I could barely hear the paging. 

I tried the same headphones into a computer, and they worked fine.

Hi Ryan,

This is not as expected.  Suggest contacting the Cisco Small Business Support Center for an RMA.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks so much for your help. I contacted support for an RMA on this issue. They wont send out a replacement device without having mine shipped there first. Having our unit gone for up to 10 business days for a paging port issue is simply not possible since our office would come to a grinding hault.

I guess our only other option would be to install a seperate paging microphone or something along those lines

I kind of have it working with a preamp, (volume wise) but the quality of sound is very poor. I would imagine due to the fact that the preamp is amplifying sound from an already defective page port.

Thanks again for your quick response and help with this matter.

Cisco SBS just called me back stating that they will offer an advanced replacement on the unit so that we experience no telephone downtime.

Thanks so much!

rsawyer6003
Level 1
Level 1

We always use Valcom self amplified paging speakers and horns. They work well for use plus all speakers/horns have individual volume control.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: