cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MAC Address not valid

joshpurple
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, and Thank You for your time and help on this -to all- I sincerely appreciate it   .

(My apologies if I've posted this in the wrong location, please feel free to move).

My ISP is Comcast, and they recommended I use a new modem for my high speed cable service (old modem was ~ 2 years old).

I installed a Motorola SB6121.  My router then seemed to die, so I installed a Cisco Small Business RV082.

I contacted Comcast,& activated my modem.

My internet connection has been working great, fast no issues, and my LAN has been working with no issues

(one Mac Pro tower, a Mac laptop, a Windows 7 64bit laptop, and a Windows workstation Vista 32bit).

Set-up is; Wall > Motorola modem > Cisco Small Business RV082 router > one port out to each computer.

Not using any wireless networks.

All connect and work great with the internet.

< I have run the Setup Wizard for the RV082 router >

Issue:  (occurring on my Mac Pro running Boot Camp using Windows Vista 64bit)

**MAC address not valid**

All of my programs, and licenses, etc. have been working except one.

A plugin for the application 3ds Max 2012.

Before installing the new modem and router, the plugin was working.

I authorized the plugin by generating a license request file, sending it into the company,

they then sent back a license that I imported for the plugin.

- this is all professional & legitimate software, no crack -

After installing the new modem and router, when I attempt to run the plugin,

I receive the error, "MAC address not valid."

I generated a new license request file, and submitted it for a new license file,

hoping it would update & work with the new MAC address. 

The company sent the new license file, but the error "MAC address not valid" remains.

The plugin worked previously with the old modem and router,

and the company is not sure why I would receive that error.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to resolve this, my sincere thanks to you

(I've been searching google & trying to learn / understand as much as I can

about the MAC address).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Josh

I have not seen this situation and can not speak from experience about what would cause it. But it sounds to me like the software has learned the MAC of its gateway and has problems with its gateway address changed with the new router. Perhaps you could check with the company and ask if the software does learn and keep the MAC of its gateway?

I wonder if it would help if you did an un-install of the software. Then did a fresh install of the software and applied the new license. Perhaps this would re-sync the software and the gateway address.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Josh

I have not seen this situation and can not speak from experience about what would cause it. But it sounds to me like the software has learned the MAC of its gateway and has problems with its gateway address changed with the new router. Perhaps you could check with the company and ask if the software does learn and keep the MAC of its gateway?

I wonder if it would help if you did an un-install of the software. Then did a fresh install of the software and applied the new license. Perhaps this would re-sync the software and the gateway address.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thank You very much!  Did the unistall and re-install, along with generating the new license request.  I think that did the trick.  The last thing I did was disconnect the ethernet cable from my system > restart > run 3ds Max > run the plugin > reconnect the ethernet cable & it worked.  No MAC address issue.

Thanks again, I sincerely appreciate your time & help

Josh

Josh

I am glad that you solved your problem and that my suggestions were helpful. It is interesting to consider the possibility that disconnecting, restarting, running the program and plugin, and then reconnecting might have solved the issue. But my guess is that it was the un-install and re-install which cleared something that was causing the problem.

Thank you for using the rating system to mark the question as answered (and thanks for the points). It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a problem and can know that a solution was found and is especially useful in a pretty unique type problem such as yours. Your marking the question as answered has contributed to this process.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco