cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do you send a "Break" on puTTY to a cisco 2600 Terminal server

michaelseare
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cisco 2621XM Terminal server connected to A router.  The Terminal server has 32 ports and connected to 32 cisco deviceses. I was trying to login one of my Router which is cisco router 7609 that has a sup-720. The sup-720 failed and I was trying to upgrade the IOS on the sup-720. when I reload it and send a "BREAK" from the puTTY it didn't work.  Is there any way I can send a BREAK from the puTTY or push any key that works.

Thanks.

22 Replies 22

Rozsa Illes
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

If the standard break sequences do not work, you can try the special commands: right click on the header of putty / Special Commands / Break.

Cheers,

Rose

In PuTTY, you can use the key combination of CTRL+Break.

Don R. Crawley, Linux+, CCNA Security
Author and speaker for the IT industry
Author of The Accidental Administrator:  Cisco ASA Security Appliance Step-by-Step Configuration Guide
www.soundtraining.net/bookstore

Don R. Crawley, DTM, CSP
Author and speaker for the IT industry
Author of The Compassionate Geek and Accidental Administrator series of books for I.T. professionals.
http://amazon.com/author/doncrawley

What is the difference between sending a standard break sequence using Control+Break and a special break command using  PuTTY?

The reason for asking is that my colleague could not send a break using the Control+Break keyboard keys but was able to interrupt to booting of an ME3600-X switch using the special break command from the PuTTY menu, which I find rather weird.

Regards

Tom

YEAH!!!!  you  are the best,   nothing else worked Much Thanks

dolahadad
Level 1
Level 1

use "CTRL + SHIFT + 6 + X"

as far as I know..

and also there is command to enable break on boot.

But, I forgot... try to read IOS command guide.

Not to ressurect a dead thread, but you guys are referencing break sequences for a computer directly connected to a console. All attempts I've tried for these sequences when doing reverse telnet through a terminal server (in my case a 3725) are completely ignored. To my knowledge there's no way to correct this issue.

Keith Wood wrote:

Not to ressurect a dead thread, but you guys are referencing break sequences for a computer directly connected to a console. All attempts I've tried for these sequences when doing reverse telnet through a terminal server (in my case a 3725) are completely ignored. To my knowledge there's no way to correct this issue.

Yes it's possible. Configure telnet break-on-ip. Then send Interrupt Process signal with Putty Special Command menu.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/termserv/configuration/guide/tsv_dialin_term_svcs_ps10591_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

You, sir, are my new best friend. I wish I could mark this question as answered.

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck!

Man!! you're the MAN

Also from me Paolo: Thank you!

worked for me! thanks Paolo!

this is the new link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/termserv/configuration/guide/15-mt/tsv-15-MT-book/tsv_dialin_term_svcs.html

don't forget to remove the "telnet break-on-ip" command when you're done.

that worked thanks

crtl+Shfit+6+x

Enter

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

Standard Break Key Sequence Combinations During Password Recovery

you can use the key combination of CTRL+Break.

or

right click on the header of putty / Special Commands / Break.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: