Views
Helpful
Replies

How to check the buffer size utilized or the free space available

deeptinair
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

is there any way to check how much of the total buffer size is utlized at any given moment out of the total space or memory allocated in Cisco 4500 switch

For eg -  show logging output is as below for a 4500 switch

Syslog logging: enabled (0 messages dropped, 1 messages rate-limited, 0 flushes, 0 overruns, xml disabled, filtering disabled)

Buffer logging: level debugging, 31644 messages logged, xml disabled,

filtering disabled

Exception Logging: size (8192 bytes)

From above is there any command to check  hw much size is currently utlized , by 31644 messages ..or how much of the located buffer size is utlized.

Thanks

Deepti

3 Replies 3

ajay chauhan
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Deepti,

That counter wil be total number of messages logged by switch .However 8192 bytes can accomodate somewhere around120 messages.Once buffer is full it wil overwrite with new msgs .

Thanks

Ajay

Thanks for the reply..however I want to know if we can check how much out of 8192 bytes are utlized at any given time..

This is to track before the buffer is full and overwritten

Thanks

Deepti

I do not know how this is going to usefull for you since this is very small amount of memory. you can see counter 31644 means buffer is almost full, i wonder if there is any command to track it.

This is used only to see/store some latest logs else logging server should be used to store the history.

Thanks

Ajay

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: