Views
Helpful
Replies

UPS's in switch closets?

shocke
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone! I am curious what everyone does in their standard client access

switch closet, do you have UPS's in every closet or do you have nice surge suppressors

to protect your client access switches?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

vijaykhilnani
Level 1
Level 1

Have a centralised ups feeding all the network switches located in different closets

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

shocke@culver.org wrote:

switch closet, do you have UPS's in every closet or do you have nice surge suppressors

How big is your network, and how much money do you have to spend?

I've most recently been working on data-center sized networks, and they tend to be covered by large, center-wide UPS's with generator backup - the UPS and associated rectifiers isolate the protected kit from any chance of surges, so they're not needed on a rack-by-rack basis.

That's not a viable option for a smaller network or client base, so you sometimes need to think outside the box - one place I'm working on has two racks, one large UPS in the bottom of one rack and a PDU for each rack running the essential hardware (switches, servers, not monitors or non essential stuff) running off the one UPS.

There's no one size fits all solution - if you have widely distributed network closets/racks and don't want to put a UPS in each rack, your best bet might be getting switches with redundant power supplies and ensuring each supply runs off a separate electrical phase - since a lot of power outages only affect one phase at a time, you can often survive brief otuages on the secondary supply until the primary is restored.

Cheers

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

All of our switches have UPS. 

3 Replies 3

vijaykhilnani
Level 1
Level 1

Have a centralised ups feeding all the network switches located in different closets

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

shocke@culver.org wrote:

How big is your network, and how much money do you have to spend?

I've most recently been working on data-center sized networks, and they tend to be covered by large, center-wide UPS's with generator backup - the UPS and associated rectifiers isolate the protected kit from any chance of surges, so they're not needed on a rack-by-rack basis.

That's not a viable option for a smaller network or client base, so you sometimes need to think outside the box - one place I'm working on has two racks, one large UPS in the bottom of one rack and a PDU for each rack running the essential hardware (switches, servers, not monitors or non essential stuff) running off the one UPS.

There's no one size fits all solution - if you have widely distributed network closets/racks and don't want to put a UPS in each rack, your best bet might be getting switches with redundant power supplies and ensuring each supply runs off a separate electrical phase - since a lot of power outages only affect one phase at a time, you can often survive brief otuages on the secondary supply until the primary is restored.

Cheers

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

All of our switches have UPS. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: