How to test Local SPAN on switch

Answered Question
Jan 19th, 2012
User Badges:

is there a way to see if my SPAN config is running OK without connecting sniffer? something in the CLI?

this is my config:

Switch#sho mon

Session 2

---------

Type                   : Local Session

Source Ports           :

Both               : Gi1/0/6

Destination Ports      : Gi1/0/2

Encapsulation      : Native

Ingress      : Disabled

Correct Answer by rsimoni about 5 years 7 months ago

I never heard of anything like that, but maybe it is just me.

However if you don't connect anything to your destination port there is nothing to check as there will be no traffic replicated to that port. If on the contrary you connect something you might check interfaces stats to see if counters move. But at this stage you might have already connected a pc with wireshark.

Riccardo

Overall Rating: 5 (3 ratings)
rsimoni Thu, 01/19/2012 - 02:03
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi Jacob,

no, you really need to connect something on your destination port and sniff the traffic.

Riccardo

Jacob Berger Thu, 01/19/2012 - 02:49
User Badges:

hi riccardo,

i saw something somewhere about using some CLI commandsto  compare input and output rates on both ports.

but i didnt really undetstand what to check.

THANKS

Correct Answer
rsimoni Thu, 01/19/2012 - 03:35
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

I never heard of anything like that, but maybe it is just me.

However if you don't connect anything to your destination port there is nothing to check as there will be no traffic replicated to that port. If on the contrary you connect something you might check interfaces stats to see if counters move. But at this stage you might have already connected a pc with wireshark.

Riccardo

Jacob Berger Thu, 01/19/2012 - 11:53
User Badges:

i was looking to check if the SPAN config was the problem or the sniffer was not configured properly

Actions

This Discussion