cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to test Local SPAN on switch

Jacob Berger
Level 2
Level 2

is there a way to see if my SPAN config is running OK without connecting sniffer? something in the CLI?

this is my config:

Switch#sho mon

Session 2

---------

Type                   : Local Session

Source Ports           :

Both               : Gi1/0/6

Destination Ports      : Gi1/0/2

Encapsulation      : Native

Ingress      : Disabled

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I never heard of anything like that, but maybe it is just me.

However if you don't connect anything to your destination port there is nothing to check as there will be no traffic replicated to that port. If on the contrary you connect something you might check interfaces stats to see if counters move. But at this stage you might have already connected a pc with wireshark.

Riccardo

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

rsimoni
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jacob,

no, you really need to connect something on your destination port and sniff the traffic.

Riccardo

hi riccardo,

i saw something somewhere about using some CLI commandsto  compare input and output rates on both ports.

but i didnt really undetstand what to check.

THANKS

I never heard of anything like that, but maybe it is just me.

However if you don't connect anything to your destination port there is nothing to check as there will be no traffic replicated to that port. If on the contrary you connect something you might check interfaces stats to see if counters move. But at this stage you might have already connected a pc with wireshark.

Riccardo

i was looking to check if the SPAN config was the problem or the sniffer was not configured properly

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card