cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 850 not saving startup config

jsandau
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 850 router that whas having problems getting an ip address via DHCP. I did some stuff on it but that didn't work, so I rebooted the router to go back to my last saved startup config. When I turned it back on and connected t othe CLI console I got the "Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialogue?" message. Thinikng I just forgot to save anything to the startup config I went through the initial set up again and made sure to save everything to the startup config. After going through the intial config and setting up a vlan to assign DHCP to clients I saved the config and rebooted, upon reboot and connecting to the CLI console I got the same "Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialogue?" message. Tryign the setup once more and making sure everything was saved to startup config I rebooted again just to make sure the changes would stick, and sure enough they didn't. Whay is the config not saving to the startup config? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the setting of the config register on the 850? The most common cause of the router not saving the configuration is that the config register is set to 0x2142. You can find the config register setting in the output of show version. If the config register is set to 0x2142 then change it to 0x2102.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the setting of the config register on the 850? The most common cause of the router not saving the configuration is that the config register is set to 0x2142. You can find the config register setting in the output of show version. If the config register is set to 0x2142 then change it to 0x2102.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

The register ws set to 0x7C4, I changed it to 0x2102 and that fixed the problem. Thanks.

I am glad that my suggestion helped you to solve your problem. I am not sure how the config register got to that value. But I am glad that you were able to get it back to normal and that it solved your problem. Thank you for using the rating system to mark this question as answered (and thanks for the points). It makes the forum more useful when people can read about an issue and can know that a solution was found. Your marking has contributed to this process.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: