Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with iphone connecting to wireless

pbuch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have just made a setup with a couple of 2504 controllers and varius accespoints (LAP1142, LAP1252)

There are an open "guest" ssid with some external web authentication.

One of the users have an iphone, if he is near a LAP1142 he are having troble connecting, sometimes he get a connection, but it is painfully slow.

If he connects to a LAP1252 everything is ok.

The problem came after converting from autonome ap's

The controllers are running 7.0.116.0

I intend to upgrade to 7.0.220.0

Any ideas ?

10 Replies 10

blakekrone
Level 4
Level 4

Can you provide details as to what frequencies the "guest" SSID is being broadcasted on?

What do you see on the controller when you do a debug client ?

Which model iphone?

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you give use more detail? Does a laptop connect fine to the same SSID that the iPhone is trying to connect to? Do you have mobility setup between the two wlc? If the user turns off the wireless and turns it back on, does he connect to the 1252 or the 1142 he or she is closer too? Swap the ap also and see if the problem persists or goes away. That will eliminate either the ap or the wlc.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Laptops connect without any problems.

At this time all ap are on the same controller.

Its a customer, i am not "on site" now.

I checked the iphone mac address on the controller, lots of retries.

I will do a debug next time i am on site.

Is the iPhone jailbroken?  I had seen an issue with an iphone and we had to add that to a mac filter to block that mac address because is was causing a lot of dhcp request.  The user had to reinstall the firmware on the iphone and got it to work.  Again... you need to test with more than one iphone to see if its an issue with a particular iphone in my opinion.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I have been checking on the net ... lots of problems with jailbroken iphones. I will check further when i am on site again. Taking an extra ap1252 with me.

Thanks for your replies, it is gold to have this forum :-)

Is "Aeronet IE " disabled on the SSID?   If not, please disable and try again.

iPhone what?  3/3G, 4/4S?  3/3G has 802.11b radio while the 4/4S has both 802.11a and 802.11b radio.

have you seen issues with Aironet IE enabled? I've deployed networks with 300+ iPads and have always left it enabled with no issues.

Have you tried with web auth disabled and just have it be an open network? I've had some issues with web auth causing issues due to how Apple checks for a captive portal when connecting to a wireless network.

It is an open network.

Web auth is done on the gateway when accessing the internet.

And again, if the user is connecting to a 1252 ap, everything is ok.

What mode are these APs in? I know of issues with HREAP mode. I have a bunch of 1142s, 3502s, and 1252s running 7.0.220, no issues. But when I was running 7.0.98 with HREAP my idevices would not connect.

have you seen issues with Aironet IE enabled? I've deployed networks with 300+ iPads and have always left it enabled with no issues.

Hi Blake,

I've disabled Aeronet IE.  It was causing us grief.  We couldn't pinpoint where the problem is.  Sometimes looks like the client, sometimes the network.

Have you tried with web auth disabled and just have it be an open network? I've had some issues with web auth causing issues due to how Apple checks for a captive portal when connecting to a wireless network.

We use RADIUS.  Portals are not required due to the amount of clients.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card