cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 Switching Fabric bandwidth 720 is calculated?

mukupatil
Level 1
Level 1

As per my understanding 6509 all slots are dual channel, so 9 slot * 40 per slot (20 g in and 20 g out) = 360 GB

How cisco claim the 720 ?? What about the 6513 chassic switch fabric connection?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

As I told above all the line cards and Supervisors in particular are different in FABRIC ASIC sub-modules. Your 10g line card has 2 fabric ASICs thus can use both fabric channels. Sup720 has only single fabric ASIC and can use only one channel.

Nik,

HTH,
Niko

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Fabric bandwidths are normally quoted for the duplex capacity, so for the sup720 double your 360 and you get 720.

For the 6513, using a sup720, only the bottom 5 slots (9..13) are 40 Gbps, others are only 20.  (NB: the 6500-E chassis actually supports 80 Gbps pers slot, including the 6513-E, which the sup2t can provide full bandwidth to all slots.)

6500 architecture is explained here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_white_paper0900aecd80673385.html

SUP720 means swicth fabric BW 720, if i want to full 720GB bandwidth then i need slots with dual channel to switch fabric..is this correct?

Output of one of my 6509-E SUP720-3BXL chasis. If you see only one of my modual at stot 2 is having dual channel can i assume only this is giving me 40Gig switching.

XXXX#sh module

Mod Ports Card Type                              Model              Serial No.

--- ----- -------------------------------------- ------------------ -----------

1   48  48-port 10/100/1000 RJ45 EtherModule   WS-X6148A-GE-TX   

2    4  CEF720 4 port 10-Gigabit Ethernet      WS-X6704-10GE     

3    6  Firewall Module                        WS-SVC-FWM-1      

5    2  Supervisor Engine 720 (Hot)            WS-SUP720-3BXL    

6    2  Supervisor Engine 720 (Active)         WS-SUP720-3BXL    

9   48  48-port 10/100/1000 RJ45 EtherModule   WS-X6148A-GE-TX   

Mod  Sub-Module                  Model             

---- --------------------------- ------------------

2  Centralized Forwarding Card WS-F6700-CFC      

5  Policy Feature Card 3       WS-F6K-PFC3BXL    

5  MSFC3 Daughterboard         WS-SUP720         

6  Policy Feature Card 3       WS-F6K-PFC3BXL    

6  MSFC3 Daughterboard         WS-SUP720         

xxx#sh fabric utilization

slot    channel      speed    Ingress %     Egress %

2          0        20G            0            0

2          1        20G            0            0

3          0         8G            0            0

5          0        20G            0            0

6          0        20G            1            0

Hello,

This is correct. Other thatn fabric capacity you also need to consider the line card specific. In your chassis you currnetly have both Fabric  (WS-X6704-10GE     ) and classic (WS-X6148A-GE-TX ) line cards. Last ones do not use fabric at all for switching. They exchange traffic through DBUS/RBUS with Supervisor thus those will not be able to get fabric capacity. SUP has only single channle and 10GB card has 2 fabric asic and can use both fabric channels.

Hope this helps,

Nik

HTH,
Niko

I am having 6509-E chassis but why my output of SUP slot shows only single channel..

Figure below shows the backplane and line-card connectors for a Cisco Catalyst 6509-E chassis with each slot with dual channels..

Figure 2. Cisco Catalyst 6509-E Backplane

Hello,

As I told above all the line cards and Supervisors in particular are different in FABRIC ASIC sub-modules. Your 10g line card has 2 fabric ASICs thus can use both fabric channels. Sup720 has only single fabric ASIC and can use only one channel.

Nik,

HTH,
Niko
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: